PDA

View Full Version : forum software

deronsizemore
11-22-2005, 10:24 PM
When just starting out, would you say it's best to go with a free forums software like http://www.mybboard.com/? Just to see how things go with your site and make sure it does not flop in a couple months?

How hard would it be to make the transfer over to something like VBulletin later and keep all the information from the free one, like posts and what not?

chromate
11-23-2005, 03:42 AM
If you wanna go with some free forum software to start with, I would pick phpbb. There're scripts to export the forum to vBulletin, IPB, etc at a later date if you choose to. I know quite a few very popular phpbb forums. I believe the main advantage with the commercial forum software is in the admin side of things.

deronsizemore
11-23-2005, 08:10 AM
If you wanna go with some free forum software to start with, I would pick phpbb. There're scripts to export the forum to vBulletin, IPB, etc at a later date if you choose to. I know quite a few very popular phpbb forums. I believe the main advantage with the commercial forum software is in the admin side of things.

Ah, thanks. So with something like phpbb there is none or few admin abilities to administer posts and everything?

Chris
11-23-2005, 08:51 AM
It just doesn't compare. Admittedly I haven't used phpbb in a few years now, but when I did switch I was astounded.

Also I've never had my vbulletin forums hacked, I had phpbb forums hacked a few times.

chromate
11-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Perhaps it has changed a lot since you've used it Chris. Or it could just be that I'm not aware of how good vBulletin is. But when I've used phpbb, I've found there to be ample control over posts and templating straight from the admin control panel.

Chris
11-23-2005, 12:16 PM
I used phpbb up until version 2, when they introduced their template system.

But in anycase, I think its something that you don't realize what you're missing until you have a look at the better product.

deronsizemore
11-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I used phpbb up until version 2, when they introduced their template system.

But in anycase, I think its something that you don't realize what you're missing until you have a look at the better product.

Yeah, obviously VBulletin is the main choice of the best forums...but I'm just afraid of buying the lisence, setting up the site, and the site just being a flop. I figure at least if everything is free, it wont hurt as bad if it flops. Maybe that's a bad way to think about it though.

LuckyShima
11-23-2005, 08:58 PM
If you buy vbulletin you can use it on other sites in the future. You can also sell it to recoup some of your money if you don't want it, although I am not sure how that works if there is a new version available.

deronsizemore
11-23-2005, 09:50 PM
If you buy vbulletin you can use it on other sites in the future. You can also sell it to recoup some of your money if you don't want it, although I am not sure how that works if there is a new version available.

Well I would have to buy a separate lisence for each site, correct? I know they have certain packages that would allow me to use it on up to 5 sites or even more, but just buying the single lisence, wouldn't allow me to use it on more than one site right?

ozgression
11-23-2005, 10:22 PM
What LuckyShima is saying is that if your vBulletin powered forum "flops" you can salvage that vBulletin license and re-use it.

deronsizemore
11-23-2005, 10:32 PM
What LuckyShima is saying is that if your vBulletin powered forum "flops" you can salvage that vBulletin license and re-use it.

Ohh I got ya now! Damn I just don't think sometimes! :D

Cutter
11-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Yeah, obviously VBulletin is the main choice of the best forums...but I'm just afraid of buying the lisence, setting up the site, and the site just being a flop. I figure at least if everything is free, it wont hurt as bad if it flops. Maybe that's a bad way to think about it though.

Here is what I recently did. I set up phpBB, within a week the board was taking off, so I switched over to vBulletin right away. When you purchase vBulletin they let you download an import system which you can then install and run.

I downloaded it, back up my databases, and ran it (they recommended doing a test conversion first -- I didn't.) I did not run into any visable problems, but the next day I found out that it had downgraded all previously registered users and I had to go back and fix it by hand. There were about 80 members I had to do this for.

Its your choice, you could go for a one year lease for $80 to test things out, or start with vBulletin and sometime deal with the pain of rolling over (a few hours of work if everything goes well.)

deronsizemore
11-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Switching over sounds like more work then I care to deal with, so maybe when I'm ready VBulletin sounds like what I'm going with.

etech-martin
11-25-2005, 04:46 AM
IMO, vBulletin is a Good Choice. It is really fast, searches are fast and backend database is also strong. Best wishes to you! ;)

deronsizemore
11-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the reply's! Been very helpful in helping make a decision.