PDA

View Full Version : Sites dedicated to TV shows.

aj8
11-22-2005, 05:57 AM
A long while back, I heard rumours of a new programme was coming onto TV in the UK. I discovered this several months before it hit the airwaves. I registered its name as .co.uk and .com (I guess I took a chance - they could have renamed it). Anyway. They didn't. So I own the name of this programme in .co.uk and .com.

It's a comedyish programme which may eventually have a sort of "cult status" and possibly following. Um.. Anyway. I did nothing with these domains at all. Just sat on them (I was busy anyway).

Now it turns out a second series has been commissioned! This programme is going out on one of our *major* tv channels here.

Does anybody think it'd be worth setting up a 'fan site' type of thing, with links to the various people involved in the programme (AWS?) and Google adwordsy type advertising? And a forum maybe? Has anybody got any experience of this type of site? Any tips/thoughts?

MarkB
11-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Depends, what's the show?:)

Blue Cat Buxton
11-22-2005, 06:16 AM
If its a BBC programme, you need to be aware of the sheer quality of the BBC show sites on BBC.co.uk - and I suppose this is a good starting point to see if it is worth doing anything with the domains or if an existing site has everything covered. If it can be unique though, and as you say a fanzine type thing, it could do well.

Are there any issues with copyright infringement if you own showname.com etc? - For example littlebritan.com dedicated to the show might just upset the Beeb

aj8
11-22-2005, 06:44 AM
Oh go on then ... I'll tell you ;)

BBC2 - Mock the Week

mocktheweek.com & mocktheweek.co.uk

There is a little bit of info on BBC's site about it, but it's produced by a production company (not in house by the BEEB). It's a bit like Have I got news for you.

Virtually nothing on the bbc site about it, a couple of tiny 1 page descriptions on sites about UK Game shows, and a Wiki entry. Certainly nothing like a forum or anything.

MarkB
12-02-2005, 02:26 AM
I've never heard of this show - so it will either have no audience, or a strong cult following :) I say go for it!

natts
09-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Now up for Series 3 at http://www.mocktheweek.tv.

Blue Cat Buxton
09-28-2006, 05:29 AM
Co-incidently I saw this for the first time last week.

It is actually quite funny

webcs
10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
A long while back, I heard rumours of a new programme was coming onto TV in the UK. I discovered this several months before it hit the airwaves. I registered its name as .co.uk and .com (I guess I took a chance - they could have renamed it). Anyway. They didn't. So I own the name of this programme in .co.uk and .com.

It's a comedyish programme which may eventually have a sort of "cult status" and possibly following. Um.. Anyway. I did nothing with these domains at all. Just sat on them (I was busy anyway).

Now it turns out a second series has been commissioned! This programme is going out on one of our *major* tv channels here.

Does anybody think it'd be worth setting up a 'fan site' type of thing, with links to the various people involved in the programme (AWS?) and Google adwordsy type advertising? And a forum maybe? Has anybody got any experience of this type of site? Any tips/thoughts?

Well I don't know about the UK laws but I know in the US that if you want to hold onto a name like that which is obbviously bought because of the show you need to do something with the name and show that it is being used and not just squatted.

So making a fan site or forum might be a good thing to cover your bases.