PDA

View Full Version : Google not refreshing?

Shawn
11-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Google isn't refreshing.

Search for Cingular reviews. Some people find me first (including me), some don't. Same with other terms, like Verizon Reviews, Sprint reviews, etc. Some see me at the top, some don't. What's the story on this? Has it just not updated for everyone else or what?

Thanks.

Shawn
11-04-2003, 04:16 AM
And, another issue: What subnav do you like better?

http://www.wirelessphonereviews.com/wireless_companies/alltel/

or

http://www.wirelessphonereviews.com/wireless_companies/cingular/

I'm trying to find something that is both usable and is appealing to look at.

chromate
11-04-2003, 05:26 AM
Google have many different datacenters. They're not always consistent, especially shortly after an update (such as now). I find you listed first though, if you're interested :)

I like alltel subnav best aesthetically. The cingular one may be more usable though. It's more apparent that the reviews would be "cingular reviews" rather than just a general reviews section of the site.

However, I expect most people would figure it out and so I would probably go with the alltel subnav.

Shawn
11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Thanks.

So what you're saying is, Google just updated my site and it's only in some of the datacenters yet, but once it is in all of them, my site will be found?

Yes, I agree as well -- I like the Alltel subnav too.

Also, if you're interested -- hear of "wireless number portability?" Well, it's the big news coming in a couple of weeks, where we'll be able to keep our wireless number when we switch carriers. It's going to be REALLY popular -- look who's first in Google results :)

GCT13
11-04-2003, 12:35 PM
The subnav might also work centered directly below the company logo.

Nice work on the the keyword rankings. If you don't mind me asking, what are the top keywords that shoot users to your site?

GCT13
11-04-2003, 12:38 PM
I can't find you in the first few pages of results on Google for "Wireless Number Portability".

Shawn
11-04-2003, 01:05 PM
wireless phone portability, sorry.

Shawn
11-04-2003, 01:06 PM
But, GCT13, the logo of the company isn't on each page, so it won't be very consistent. Which nav do you like out of the two?

chromate
11-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Maybe you should display the logo on each page. Then the user would always know where they are in the site.

Good luck on the portability stuff. Sounds like it could go well :)

Shawn
11-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Well, it says "Alltel Wireless Plans." (Replace Alltel with company name and replace wireless plans with the page). On each page.

If they don't know where they are then, I can't help them :)

GCT13
11-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Ah. You're good to go on the portability keyword! :D

I like the Cingular style, but it may not be clear to users the available links to the other pages within each company, so I was going for a little sub-nav separation to make it stand out more. Perhaps below the logo or header text?

Shawn
11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Well, check out the Alltel nav now. It's very easy to see the additional subnav.

GCT13
11-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Yes, very nice.

So... what are your top keywords?

Shawn
11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm #1 on the following that I know of:

Alltel reviews
Cingular reviews
Sprint reviews
Suncom reviews
T-mobile reviews
Verizon reviews
wireless phone portability

I'm in the top 12 results in Google on the following:

wireless phone companies (#6) - a GREAT keyword string.
wireless phone reviews

There are about 20 more keywords I'm going to focus heavily on before I consider the site "officially live."

Chris
11-04-2003, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't sweat a little instability now -- your listing is still new. Give it awhile and things should settle down.

Shawn
11-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Does that mean these #1 listings are temp?

chromate
11-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Have a look at your competition and work it out. I would think that on the next update, you will remain #1.

Shawn
11-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Yeah, it looks that way.