PDA

View Full Version : Google using meta description

Chris
11-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Anyone notice Google almost exclusively using the meta description tag for abstracts now?

Shawn
11-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Indeed, I do.

Emancipator
11-19-2005, 08:29 AM
elaborate please. Been a very long time since I used any meta's.

Chris
11-19-2005, 09:00 AM
I was doing some searches this morning and noticed that Google seemed to use every meta description tag as the abstract, even if the site had plenty of text to pull an abstract from.

Emancipator
11-19-2005, 09:06 AM
hmm interesting. In my case since i have no meta content its grabbing text off the page. I am going to set some meta's and see what it does.

jonnyhilfiger
11-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Yes, noticed this a few weeks ago only because I hadn't updated the meta descriptions on the pages on one of my sites so they all came back with the same description, soon sorted it though.

John

Emancipator
11-19-2005, 04:06 PM
i had noticed some wierd *** abstracts but am glad chris pointed this out. I am going to check my abstracts on Monday and see how google shows it now.

etech-martin
11-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Google sometimes use the meta description tag to create an abstract for your site, so it may be useful to you if your home page is primarily composed of graphics. However, I think you should not expect that it will useful to increase your rank.

moonshield
11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
^ It may not help your rank but it can encourage people to click on it.

Emancipator
11-21-2005, 12:03 PM
i hope everyone here would know that meta isnt involved in the algorithm. But it is nice to have a nice abstract for your site as moon pointed out. My site is nothing but text and without the abstract my MENU was the abstract.

dburdon
11-22-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure Google is actually using the meta description tag. However it does seem slightly more "on page" post the recent Jagger update.

However, its always worth utilising the tag as a discipline for content.

Chris
11-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Google sometimes use the meta description tag to create an abstract for your site, so it may be useful to you if your home page is primarily composed of graphics. However, I think you should not expect that it will useful to increase your rank.
I don't think everyone gets it when I say "abstract."

Previously it worked as etech said above. But now Google is using the meta description even if there is plenty of usable text on the page itself. This is only for the listing, not for ranking.