PDA

View Full Version : subdreamer CMS

Chris
11-18-2005, 02:10 PM
http://www.subdreamer.com/

These guys just started advertising on SitePoint. I checked them out. It actually looks fairly decent. But their website is screwy, no contact form and you have to register to see pricing. I sent them an email about that.

All in all though it looks like it includes most of the features I would include in my own CMS.

deronsizemore
11-18-2005, 04:51 PM
I'd like to see a site showcase of sorts, just to see what others have thought up with sub dreamer.

I played with the demo and didn't see (unless i overlooked it) anywhere you could edit your template and stylesheet to make a custom design?

Chris
11-18-2005, 07:06 PM
There is one section where you organize the page layout (whats on the left, whats on the right, in which order, etc).

For the overall encompassing design I imagine there is some sort of include you'd use.

deronsizemore
11-18-2005, 07:46 PM
I see.

The more I use TextPattern and get comfortable with it the more I like it better then anyone I've used before.

If you're looking for just a basic CMS without a lot of extra bells and whistles www.cmsmadesimple.org is one to check out. Pretty nice and easy, but like I said, it will allow you to post static content and not much else (yet).

James
11-18-2005, 07:57 PM
I've tried TextPattern a few times and couldn't stand it. It never seems to have been completed or built to be that easy to change things with.

deronsizemore
11-18-2005, 08:21 PM
I've tried TextPattern a few times and couldn't stand it. It never seems to have been completed or built to be that easy to change things with.

I've had a ton of help from somone over at Sitepoint with Textpattern, but believe me I know exactly how you feel. I felt like that for the first 3 weeks using it and trying to thumb my way around it. Once I finally figured out how it worked and got some of the basics it was like a light bulb moment when stuff just clicks. I find it pretty good now that I understand it...but if you had asked me three weeks ago I would have told you to stay away from it cause it sucks. lol

Emancipator
11-19-2005, 08:31 AM
I got into building cms's by trying other peoples and seeing how it wouldnt work for what i needed. So many CMS"s are designed for a "portal" with a specific design. Would love to see a site running it Deron.

deronsizemore
11-19-2005, 09:01 AM
I got into building cms's by trying other peoples and seeing how it wouldnt work for what i needed. So many CMS"s are designed for a "portal" with a specific design. Would love to see a site running it Deron.

Hey. When you say you'd love to see a site running it...are you referring to SubDreamer (cause I would like to see a site running it also) or are you reffering to TextPattern?

If Textpattern check out this: http://txpmagazine.kbbu.de/all_sites/

Or my site for that matter...its slowly but surely coming along.

Emancipator
11-19-2005, 09:07 AM
i like the very simple and clean look of your site Deron. I have always found it appealing clean cut sites. Funny thing is none of mine are :P

James
11-19-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't think that anything can beat a home-brewed CMS.

Currently I'm sort of doing what Emancipator did to learn to make my own CMSs, by looking at other ones, and seeing how they ticked. Right now I'm modifying a simple blog software to suit my own devious purposes.

Emancipator
11-19-2005, 04:05 PM
yeah i had alot of needs and it just kind of got WAY out of control :P

deronsizemore
11-19-2005, 07:43 PM
i like the very simple and clean look of your site Deron. I have always found it appealing clean cut sites. Funny thing is none of mine are :P

Hey thanks. I like the simple clean look of sites too...it just makes it harder because you can only make so many simple designs before they start looking alike or like someone elses.

I think it is just really hard to have a lot of content on a site and have it organized in a way to make it really usable. Even some of the large sites' navigation and stuff just are not user friendly simply because there is so much going on.

deronsizemore
11-19-2005, 07:45 PM
I don't think that anything can beat a home-brewed CMS.

Hopefully one of these days I'll start using PHP/MySQL enough to understand how a CMS works and how to build one. I've got so many things I want to learn/do and not enough time. :)

etech-martin
11-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Hopefully one of these days I'll start using PHP/MySQL enough to understand how a CMS works and how to build one. I've got so many things I want to learn/do and not enough time. :)
Hi deron,
Site looks simple and nice. w3schools.com is the best learning site center for any web work. I would recommend opensource CMS portals like typo3 and e107 that are really the best.

deronsizemore
11-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I've heard Typo3 is one of the more difficult ones to grasp?

I have been using TextPattern for the last couple weeks and have really taken a liking to it...how do you think it compares to Typo3 and e107?

etech-martin
11-25-2005, 02:20 AM
IMO, typo3 is very easier and powerful CMS to manage your site backend. Typo3 has ability to compete with larger CMS systems. I agree it is difficult, but if you have a time, it is worth tool to spend time for learning.
I think e107 has nice features and ease of use. It allows to spend more time on your website content and less time on coding. It is fast too. :)

deronsizemore
11-25-2005, 08:21 AM
IMO, typo3 is very easier and powerful CMS

I agree it is difficult, but if you have a time, it is worth tool to spend time for learning.

Aren't these two statements contradicting? :D

etech-martin
11-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Aren't these two statements contradicting? :D
I think you should quote complete statement if you feel it is conradictory... :D
It is easier for backend site managing concern.
And if you even dont want to devote time for learning it then it seems definitely difficult. It will take days to go for intensive training to study how the system works. As a webmaster, you can do everything you want with this incredible tool provided once you get aware of it you should not leave it. ;)

Todd W
11-30-2005, 01:19 AM
Once you get your own custom CMS you will realize the never ending time you can put into it making it EXACTLY how you want. Is this good? Is this bad? You decide!

Every CMS I have used has had something missing or was flawed some how so I`ve been working on my own simple little CMS with the features we discussed in the programming/cms wish thread.

Since CMS has been brought up again what features are you guys needing that isn't available in the current ones available? (Want to make sure I have everything!)

I`m looking over CMS Made Simple it seems nice, the subdreamer seemed bloggy to me :confused:

Chris
11-30-2005, 06:46 AM
To me most CMSs seem bloated and build without regard to SEO. This subdreamer one though seemed pretty good if they'd make just a handful of improvements.

moonshield
11-30-2005, 07:01 AM
I hear drupal is good because everything is modular based, no bloat.

drupal.org

I have not tried it since I make my own CMSs as well.

James
11-30-2005, 08:37 AM
e107, I tried it but I throught it was a horrible little troll. Based on my personal experience I could never reccomend it, but did they make drastic improvements from last year?

Todd W
11-30-2005, 05:06 PM
I`m experimenting wtih CMS Made Simple it seems to have most functions, and looks easy to write modules for too. Another nice plus for this CMS is how easy it is to navigate the admin panel and to understand what does what, i`ve found most are way to in depth to pickup and learn the first hour.

deronsizemore
11-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I`m experimenting wtih CMS Made Simple it seems to have most functions, and looks easy to write modules for too. Another nice plus for this CMS is how easy it is to navigate the admin panel and to understand what does what, i`ve found most are way to in depth to pickup and learn the first hour.

Yeah CMSMadeSimple is good also. I used it before I got to using TextPattern. TextPattern is deffinitely more difficult to use inititally, but has a lot more features. I think in the long run, the way it's looking, if they continue to build on CMSMadeSimple it will be one of it not the best CMS out there.

Todd W
11-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah CMSMadeSimple is good also. I used it before I got to using TextPattern. TextPattern is deffinitely more difficult to use inititally, but has a lot more features. I think in the long run, the way it's looking, if they continue to build on CMSMadeSimple it will be one of it not the best CMS out there.

My main concern right now with CMSMadeSimple is the lack of categories... they call them "Pages" and then "Sub-Pages" with a parent page. It works but seems kinda janky how the menu system works. Maybe I haven't figured all the tags out 100% but right now I`m not seeing a way to do something like.

Cat1
-SubCat
-Subcat2
Cat2
-Subcat
-Subcat2

Then if you click a subcat it would show any subcats in that category... The only way they have this rihgt now is with the DHTML menu that pops out to the side. I also got it kind of working with 2 menu modules but then you have.
Cat1
Cat2
[space]
Subcats in current category

Which is "OK" but I`m hoping theres some work or an addon to allow categorization.

Todd W
11-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Looks like what I want to do is in beta and is expected to be released any day :)

deronsizemore
11-30-2005, 09:06 PM
You're going more in depth then when I used it. I was only using it to post content to a few static pages and it was awesome for that. I never really got to deep into it, but liked what I saw and used of it. Very easy.