PDA

View Full Version : too late

Chris
11-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Every check a domain in the morning and its available, and then that night its taken?

Pisses me off.

lz83ny
11-16-2005, 06:55 PM
That happens to me all the time and then I check the site a week after and it doesn't even resolve :(

James
11-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Dude, I get glitches that show them as available then in the time you can get the CC they're taken. Or they're taken on other whois services.

AndyH
11-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Once I checked a domain and the .com was available, decided to buy it at night and bought the .net because I didn't notice that the .com was taken by then.

LuckyShima
11-16-2005, 08:52 PM
wow, I get a knot in my stomach if a domain has been gone just one week, the same day would be a killer !

agua
11-16-2005, 11:09 PM
This has happened to me also :confused:

Do you think someone, either a hacker or the registrar, somehow is logging all/most of the domains searched for - when they see a good one - they buy it.

Just a thought - I had one the other day which I found in the morning - it had gone the next day.

Something strange is going on!!!

Todd W
11-16-2005, 11:18 PM

Do you think someone, either a hacker or the registrar, somehow is logging all/most of the domains searched for - when they see a good one - they buy it.

Just a thought - I had one the other day which I found in the morning - it had gone the next day.

Has happened to me too. It's as if someone at the register checks domains users check if are avail, and if they like they snag them... Easy code to write but very hard to check if 1000s are done per-day...

-Todd

lz83ny
11-16-2005, 11:46 PM

It is not strange, they have the sole right to do it. I heard all registrars do it, especially the big ones.

Cutter
11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I usually check if a domain name is taken through whois, and then when I'm ready to register I apply for it. I've had a few times where the whois says its free, and its not.

Doug
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
It is not strange, they have the sole right to do it. I heard all registrars do it, especially the big ones.

So basically they are harvesting our ideas. Legally.

Chris
11-18-2005, 06:58 AM
ya... with this occurence whois still listed it as free, but the registrars said taken.

Chris
11-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Looks like some Kenyan company grabbed it.

http://www.directnic.com/whois/?query=backyardgardening.net

looks like they're in the domain reselling business:

http://www.kenyatech.com/

I think its conceivable that someone is selling a list of recently searched for domains.

freekrai
11-18-2005, 07:23 AM
I have a friend down in Vancouver who has a domain registration company setup aimed to the .ca domains.

We had this conversation a few months back, and he once said that it was common practice to monitor the domain searches, and if a name gets searched that seems that it would be popular and isn't bought at that time, they put it on a list that is usually sold to domain resellers.

He said the registrars generally assume that because you haven't bought the domain then maybe you lost interest for now or something, but the domain can still be worth money to them so they sell it off.

Sometimes, they even offer pretty big deals to these guys who grab the domains to later sell since they pay pretty good for the domain list.

Doug
11-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Lots of times I will check and see if a domain is available then buy it later, I have to think a little first. They shouldn't assume that we lose interest if we don't buy it at that moment. It sounds like some sort of excuse to me, though they don't need one, they just don't wan't people thinking they doing that and knowing they may be taking away from someone who had big plans for it.

freekrai
11-18-2005, 08:23 AM
I never said I agree with it, I just said that that is a common practice for them.
I personally hate it when I check a domain name and then it's gone later that day.

Doug
11-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Right, I didn't think you agreed with it. Sorry if I gave that impression. After I posted I thought it would come off like that too.

freekrai
11-18-2005, 10:49 AM
No worries.

Chris
11-18-2005, 10:54 AM
One can only hope no one is interested in the domain and it ends up unsold and costing me money every year.

Masetek
11-18-2005, 06:53 PM
All this domain talk kicked my *** into buying all the domains I have been thinking about for the past few weeks!

LuckyShima
11-20-2005, 05:42 PM
I suppose recording and analysing searches for domain names would have to be whois or registrar specific so maybe use a different service?

This one doesn't seem to be attached to anything but I suppose you never know:

http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.aspx

Chris
11-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I think dotster does this. I don't buy from them anymore cause they're expensive, but I like their domain suggestion tool so I was using it.

I think dotster is actually based in vancouver so maybe thats the place freekrai was talking about.

moonshield
11-20-2005, 06:15 PM
This happened to me once as well. Now I buy domains the second I see them available.

deronsizemore
11-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Just happened to me. I was going to buy this domain a while back, but didn't for some reason...but I wrote it down. I went to buy it two days ago and it was registered the same day I was going to go buy it...I mean like I couldn't spare 8 bucks!

ozgression
11-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Looks like some Kenyan company grabbed it.

http://www.directnic.com/whois/?query=backyardgardening.net

looks like they're in the domain reselling business:

http://www.kenyatech.com/

I think its conceivable that someone is selling a list of recently searched for domains.

Chris, was it the .net you wanted? According to http://www.whois.sc/backyardgardening.net it is available. :confused: