PDA

View Full Version : how to obtain a computer virus

mini
11-08-2005, 08:03 PM
This might be an unusual question. Since all of you sounds IT experts, You might be able to help me answer my friend's question.

He asked me whether I know where to obtain a computer virus. Does he need to google it?

Thanks in advanced for your opinion.

Just asked my friend on what he's gonna use the virus for, he said he's just curious where the virus come from. He said he's heard people battling the virus, but he's not sure where it comes from.

I told him that this might be a criminal offense.

Chris
11-08-2005, 08:18 PM
1. buy new PC
2. Connect PC to internet
3. make coffee
4. your PC is infected

Its literally that quick if you have an unpatched system with no firewall, you'll get a worm in no time.

Otherwise, you know all those attachments you get in your email spam? Those are viruses.

James
11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Every single attachment EVER = a virus.
Someone sends you something on MSN? = a virus.
Someone opens Internet Explorer on your computer because you don't have a better browser (http://getfirefox.com) and goes to a single page = a virus.

Viruses are everywhere, and it's a better idea to just have a firewall and a few antivirus programs as well as spyware programs like Spybot S&D, Spysubtract, and Adaware.

r2d2
11-09-2005, 12:26 AM
3. make coffee

If you wanted you could probably skip this step - last I heard the average time for infection was about 12 seconds for an unprotected PC.

Should perhaps be noted that you will want to use Windows for this experiment :)

polspoel
11-09-2005, 12:45 AM
So how are you supposed to patch windows (which requires a connection) if you'll be infected in less time than that? :)

deronsizemore
11-09-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure, but I think the original question was how to "get one" as in how do I make one or find one to use myself?

I've always been curious of this myself. As I'm not programmer or anything, I mean is it just some program done wrote in C? or what language is normally used? One the person makes the virus would it not infect that persons machine too?

James
11-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Viruses are made in tons of languages (no, not HTML, unless you're that incredible of a []~[]4><0|2). Java, C, C++, I think Python?
Most anything. There may even be one or two Pascal viruses out there.

That said, the most likely languages used are probably C and C++.

But making viruses IS ILLEGAL. And some people have been slapped with VERY BIG PENALTIES. Because they can, and will, find you if you make a virus. In fact, President Bush had Bill Gates put a government back door into Windows(shhhh no encouraging this sort of thing).

deronsizemore
11-09-2005, 02:55 PM
It just seems to me that the people that makes these virus' are amazing. Maybe it's not as hard as I think (since I'm no programmer) but I just wouldn't even know where to begin.