PDA

View Full Version : turn based web games that don't reset

Chris
11-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Anyone know of a turn based web game (Utopia, etc) that doesn't reset on a monthly (or otherwise regularly) basis?

Emancipator
11-06-2005, 04:41 PM
do you mean a script?

AndyH
11-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Don't think you will find one. Games like that pretty much have to.

Although if you ment RPG and not strategy (kingdom management) then there are alot.

Chris
11-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Nope & nope.

I'm toying with the idea of making one, and one aspect of it would be that it would never reset.

Todd W
11-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Nope & nope.

I'm toying with the idea of making one, and one aspect of it would be that it would never reset.

I`ve read a book on a game like this but it was set WAY in the future and the computer simulated your movements.. You basicaly walked into the 'game' and played it. It was basically a secondary "life", the game never reset their were worlds to travel, and it was all real time, so if you wanted to go 1,000 miles you had to walk, drive, etc - and all times were real. I really really wish they had a First Person game like I just described but I think there would be WAy to much time involved in creating a "world" with all the options of real life.

Also, what happens when you are not in the game? Do you sleep? Are you forced to get a motel, and sleep? Do you continue what you were doing? Driving, Sleeping, etc?

If there was a 1st person or even 3rd person game that never ended and was played online in realtime with real life "EVERYTHING" I think it would be awesome as it gives everyone a chance to escape into a fantasy life they can play forever.

:)

lz83ny
11-06-2005, 10:00 PM
This sounds more like a nightmare than a utopia. Especially now that they know how to remotely control humans.

Kate
11-06-2005, 11:45 PM
That actually sounds pretty cool, ToddW.
You could die aswell.
"You take a risk and decide to skydive to your destination. Aren't you forgetting something? Say the parachutte? 17 people attended your funeral.
Would you like to Sign Up again?"

AndyH
11-07-2005, 01:43 AM
What about:

Stats get too large (database size gets bigger/slower).
New players can't catch up so alot won't play.

For kingdom management type games I think they need to, but it could always work out. Maybe just have a longer reset period if you decide to have one? 4 or 6 months?

Also, with my newest game which is a kingdom management game because it will have rounds, I am going to have a pay option that only lasts for that round. So for me that means more income.

Blue Cat Buxton
11-07-2005, 01:57 AM
The new players cant catch up bit is the dilemma - how do you keep new users joining and the game interesting for them and existing players.

There may be a half way position, where some aspects reset, and yet long time players get to keep certain assets they have ammassed ?

ToddW was the book otherland (http://www.tadwilliams.com/volume1.html) by Tad Williams - that is very simmilar in any event, and a good read (there are 4 volumes)

Snowballer
11-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Nope & nope.

hey chris, looks like you are going back on your word! hehehe

I remember you saying 'that's it, no more new sites' or something like that a while back.

creating sites is the crack of the internet for us geeks!

Chris
11-07-2005, 07:37 AM
I`ve read a book on a game like this but it was set WAY in the future and the computer simulated your movements.. You basicaly walked into the 'game' and played it. It was basically a secondary "life", the game never reset their were worlds to travel, and it was all real time, so if you wanted to go 1,000 miles you had to walk, drive, etc - and all times were real. I really really wish they had a First Person game like I just described but I think there would be WAy to much time involved in creating a "world" with all the options of real life.

Also, what happens when you are not in the game? Do you sleep? Are you forced to get a motel, and sleep? Do you continue what you were doing? Driving, Sleeping, etc?

If there was a 1st person or even 3rd person game that never ended and was played online in realtime with real life "EVERYTHING" I think it would be awesome as it gives everyone a chance to escape into a fantasy life they can play forever.
They already have games like that. On the fantasy standpoint there are muds that have been going on 20 years, from a "RL" standpoint there are a couple weirdo games like that out there. I don't recall their names but remember seeing them featured on TechTV a few years ago.

The new players cant catch up bit is the dilemma - how do you keep new users joining and the game interesting for them and existing players.

Its a secret, but believe me, I've thought about this a good deal. In fact, I think my method should in the long run encourage more people.

Also, with my newest game which is a kingdom management game because it will have rounds, I am going to have a pay option that only lasts for that round. So for me that means more income.

I've also thought about income, and I have an idea that should make it very very lucrative.

Who does your coding Andy? Yourself?

Emancipator
11-07-2005, 07:47 AM
My game doesnt reset every month... you can use regular tasks to clear up bloated DB's, and as for players catching up I am not to worried about that as my game play doesnt worry to much on player stats.

Chris
11-07-2005, 08:06 AM
What game is that?

James
11-07-2005, 08:56 AM
This sounds more like a nightmare than a utopia. Especially now that they know how to remotely control humans.

And I don't believe Chris is going back on his word; I think he said no new datafeed sites.

What game is that? I think he's talking about his zombie game (http://www.moviesonline.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8).

Rainbow Six: Lockout has a RPG style thing, where you gain levels and skills, etc. but still works out well; they're good to have, but I can still kill you with a pistol headshot (I love using my pistol on that game! It's a great way to spite people without being in last)

Chris
11-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Well I plan on it being a kingdom managment/warfare type game, not an avatar type game.

Emancipator
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
yeah i am talking about AOTD http://www.horror-movies.ca/ageofthedead/ Kingdom building / survival game using xmlhttp so the game map is live.

Chris
11-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Kingdom building, from the sounds of it I figured it was more the outwar type...

And a map... you mean there is an actual world map with kingdom's plotted on it? Geography matters and all that?

Did you code it yourself?

Emancipator
11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
yes coded myself. As you build areas, the graphics change, etc. Alot of people have been trying to sneak in so i put in something I FOUNd hilarious. Try and login, just make something up and watch the art :P

Chris
11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Anyways... I don't plan on coding mine myself, so... would you be interested?

thebillionaire
11-07-2005, 01:43 PM
What about:

Stats get too large (database size gets bigger/slower).

For kingdom management type games I think they need to, but it could always work out. Maybe just have a longer reset period if you decide to have one? 4 or 6 months?

about how much is the avg price you should charge in a browserbased game, what about montly?

Also its very unlikely that a person will play a game for over a year, espcially browser based I played some browser based, me and my friends played alot of mmorpgs but the most we played for was like 1-2 months before we got bored.

Andy what is the avg length to which a person plays a game? 1 month?

Chris
11-07-2005, 02:15 PM
well sure they only play a short time... every reset is a nice reason to quit.

AndyH
11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah I code them myself. A guy does some work for me, but that is just because I now have 3, soon to be 4 games. Upkeep is getting to be a bit much.

If you need help once you get things going be sure to send me a PM. :)

Chris
11-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Not interested in development though huh Andy?

thebillionaire
11-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Im thinking of a mmorpg but I have to learn alot of stuff, im hopping that I can find good summer camp to learn some advance programming, there was one held in a university in the summer but I didnt have the money, it was like $500 for a week plus u stayed on campus so I might look into that.

AndyH
11-07-2005, 08:25 PM
about how much is the avg price you should charge in a browserbased game, what about montly?

Also its very unlikely that a person will play a game for over a year, espcially browser based I played some browser based, me and my friends played alot of mmorpgs but the most we played for was like 1-2 months before we got bored.

Andy what is the avg length to which a person plays a game? 1 month?
I charge $3/mon in one and $5/mon in the other two. Both it is optional but there are incentives to do so.

I have quite alot of players that are older than a year. Two years for some also.

SELECT AVG(age) FROM `accounts`;
:108.9285

I also need to do an inactive deletion of lower levels so that average is a bit higher.

AndyH
11-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Not interested in development though huh Andy?
Nah. Not to sound rude, but I could easily make alot more from developing and running it myself then what you'd pay me ;).

Although like I said, I am more than willing to give you tips. After a few years of doing this I hope I know something that could be of use. :)

Todd W
11-07-2005, 09:14 PM
After you remove inactive I`m interested in active player length... Pretty cool that ppl have been playing that long.

AndyH
11-07-2005, 09:34 PM
After you remove inactive I`m interested in active player length... Pretty cool that ppl have been playing that long.
You know, the bad thing about it is that the game i'm talking about hit its peak last year when I was making REALLY good money and wasn't working. If I kept working, put money into servers to support growth then it could be alot bigger but I didn't.

Right now it is at 700+ online every hour which is good. Could be 1,500+ I reckon if I didn't slack off.

Hylo
11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
What do you code these games in, Andy?

Emancipator
11-15-2005, 12:36 PM
mine i code with jscript and php.. i would imagine andy does something similar.