PDA

View Full Version : A few important issues.

Shawn
11-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Yes, it's me again, from Wireless Phone Reviews (http://www.wirelessphonereviews.com) . Now that I am finally being noticed in the search engines and appear on the first page of many wireless searches, I really want to improve. On some searches I'm even in the top 3 - I'd like to be first.

These are absolutely petty issues, but, if they boost my rank even a few, it will mean substantial more visitors. Lets begin:

1) Titles for links. How much do these help?

2) Alt tags. Could I be penalized for going overboard? Chris, check out my main page and mouseover the header image up top - is that too many keywords?

3) Header tags. I only incorporate one header tag into my entire site, which is my first paragraph on my first page. More than 1/2 of the words in that paragraph are strong keywords that I am focusing on - is this helping me at all, or are there too many words in the header tag?

One thing, not related to SEO. Click on a Cingular, for example, and go to the reviews. Is the font legible?

Thanks.

Chris
11-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Supposedly Google doesn't factor in link titles, but other engines surely do, and it is an accessibility issue. I say supposedly because I haven't verified the research of others in this matter.

2. I'd say yes. I'd change that to just "wireless phone reviews" This isn't so much a spam issue as an effectiveness one (I wouldn't consider yours spam).

3. With most things percentages matter. A long header tag doesn't help you because each word within the tag will recieve less weight for each additional word you add. In other words the keyword density of your header tags would be lower than say 100% (which it would be if your header tags were nothing but your keywords).

Yes the font is legible.

So how much traffic you getting?

Shawn
11-01-2003, 09:52 PM
About 50 unique today. Although, Google hasn't updated my site in their listings since Oct. 31, so none of my new pages or content is there. I expect a pretty large increase in the rankings when my site is crawled again.

In my headings, I tell search engines to revisit after 3 days - does this matter at all to them? Also, once my PageRank updates, my rank in the search engines should increase, correct?

Shawn
11-02-2003, 12:50 AM
Also, Chris, what is the review script that you use on IDDB and Online-Literature?

Chris
11-02-2003, 07:51 AM
You can't tell SEs when to revisit.

Once your PR updates your rank should change.

It is a custom script.

Shawn
11-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Well, custom it in my direction :)

chromate
11-02-2003, 10:26 AM
err.. I'll write you one for £50 ;) hehe

Chris
11-02-2003, 11:14 AM
You could use something like reviewpostphp. (reviewpost.com)

Shawn
11-02-2003, 11:21 AM
I'll check it out.

Chris, what I'm doing on my site is concentrating a different keyword on each page. Not all pages, but some. Hence, my homepage - the keyword search "wireless phone companies." On my article, "Choosing a wireless phone service" - the keyword search being "wireless phone service."

Is it best to do it this way?

Chris
11-02-2003, 11:29 AM
I thought your home page was "wireless phone reviews"?

Shawn
11-02-2003, 11:30 AM
It is, sorry...

Is this the best way?

Chris
11-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Yes

Shawn
11-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Good.

Shawn
11-03-2003, 01:15 AM
From a design standpoint: http://www.wirelessphonereviews.com/wireless_companies/cingular/

What can I do with the subnav? I absolutely hate how it goes to 2 lines..

chromate
11-03-2003, 03:01 AM
I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's still very usable!