PDA

View Full Version : My first site. looking for suggestions/feedback

Sean
11-05-2005, 05:05 AM
Hey everyone,

It's my first post so I guess I'll introduce myself.

I've been interested in web publishing for a while now but was waiting until I turned 18 so I could sign up for different things and not have to worry about being under-age... in the mean time I just lurked around the many forums and tried to learn as much as possible before jumping in. I was a fan of aspen on sitepoint so it was cool when I found out about this site. I plan on building many sites and eventually living off of them.

Ok anyways... I finished my first site. I decided to make it because all of the sites which offer the same thing don't really have a variety and the buttons were usually not very attractive.

I'm pretty satisfied with the buttons themselves, but the layout/logo are sorta bothering me. I think I'm going to put a google adsense ad tower under on the sidebar just to even it out more. I also might need some help on how to promote the site. I submitted to Dmoz and the SEs so far... I guess I'll just have to submit to more directories and wait.

Any comments or suggestions? This is my first site so don't be too harsh.

Thanks in advance and sorry about not being so great at posting, I'm used to just lurking so this is new to me. I'll get used to it after a few more posts.

Cutter
11-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Nice site!

The design looks pretty good to me, I'd just make a slightly more readable logo and make the grey text just a bit darker.

A site like this you might have trouble making direct revenue from, you'll need to build articles and more content. However, it can be very useful for getting links (which you'll need a lot more of.) Ever notice that most of the big SEO companies have lots of free tools on their site? Thats so they can get links.

Sean
11-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks for compliment and tips. I'm still not sure what to do with the logo, I first had a small logo but there was too much blank space. I'll have to figure something out. And yeah the text probably should be a bit darker.

As for the revenue, I really made this site just for getting links into my network to build Overall PageRank Power. And for learning PHP and stuff. The site I'm working on now is a piano site which will have lots and lots of content... the problem is that I have to make the content heh.

I was thinking for promotion to pay a few blogs to put up a button... like 10 or 20 for a month or something. I think blogs are the primary users of the buttons so it might help to spread the word. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

EDIT: Darkened the text and put up new logo... still working on it though.

Westech
11-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Your target audience is right here on webmaster sites like this one. A great way to promote it would be to put a link to it in your signature on this forum and any other webmaster forums you post on.

Sean
11-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Hmm, I was gonna wait until I had a few more posts and sites but I guess it doesn't really matter so I've added it (see below).

Chris
11-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Its a nifty idea, its something simple many webmasters would likely want to use and yet I've never seen anyone offer it like you are.

Sean
11-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Its a nifty idea, its something simple many webmasters would likely want to use and yet I've never seen anyone offer it like you are.