PDA

View Full Version : How I accidentally annihilated my kitchen's fruit fly population

Cutter
11-03-2005, 01:11 PM
The trash didn't get taken out a couple of weeks ago and I've had a fruit fly problem ever since. I was about to go to the store to do something about it. For lunch I cooked some pork & eggs. I finished off a jar of jalapenos and I left it on the kitchen counter for an hour. I just went to clean it up, and ta-da there are dead flys floating in it! This is very good news :D

John
11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Back in university me and my roomate had a horrible fruit fly problem. We were slobs and our kitchen was a train wreck. We avoided going into the kitchen just so we wouldn't get attacked by the fruit flys. Wish I would have known about the jalapenos back then, I just stopped using the kitchen :)

James
11-03-2005, 03:46 PM
hmmm I may try closing my windows and doing that.... thanks..

agua
11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Last year we used a similar type of fruit fly trap which my daughter found online.

You need a jar, an old banana and a piece of A4 paper...

I was going to explain it all - but I found the website with the explanation (http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/struct/ef621.htm) on

Maybe you should build a website with your solution Cutter - just find an afiliate which sells jalapenos and sell the fact that you've used other varieties, b ut only these work :D

Cutter
11-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Maybe I could private-label jars of jalapeno juice. As long as I sell them as a bug killer I shouldn't get in trouble with the FDA?

agua
11-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I want a 10% cut :D

Chris
11-04-2005, 08:01 AM
I think you can leave out a dish of apple vinegar and it does the same thing.

The New Guy
11-04-2005, 08:12 AM
I not sure leaving out more things is giving you the right provention habits ;)