PDA

View Full Version : Top Paying Keywords from Adsense

deronsizemore
11-01-2005, 09:03 AM
I came across this site: http://www.dolbydesigns.com/top_paying_keywords/

I shows top paying keywords for adsense...so how do I use it to my advantage? I mean do I try and come up with a site about "mesothelioma" since it pays the most money? I don't really understand the concept I guess of how i can take this info and use it to my advantage if there is such a way?

John
11-01-2005, 09:23 AM
There are plenty of lists like this on the net and most of them are out dated and wrong, but if it were accurate then yes, the idea would be to build a site around these keywords. The only problem is trying to get someone to click on one of these ads, there is a high CPC for a reason.

deronsizemore
11-01-2005, 09:39 AM
So what you're saying is the more dull of topic the more they pay usually cause less people are likely to click the ads?

John
11-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Sort of. Those keywords are all high paying because anyone that is interested enough to click on the ad is probably going to use their service or buy their product. Take mesothelioma for an example. Chances are that someone searching for mesothelioma either has it or knows somebody that has it so the click more often then not will convert for the advertiser. The only problem for advertisers is that there are alot of people advertising for the keyword mesothelioma so it drives the price up.

r2d2
11-01-2005, 11:33 AM
So what you're saying is the more dull of topic the more they pay usually cause less people are likely to click the ads?

Not really. This is not link whatsoever between the 'dullness' of the topic, and the amount someone will pay for a click. Neither is there a link between how often it will be clicked and how much someone will pay.

The amount someone will pay is based on the return the person paying can expect from the click. Say I run a loan company, and on average make $1000 for every loan I make. Also say that for every click I get on my ads, roughly 1 in 10 people actually take out a loan. If I pay $90 per click, then on average, it will cost me $900 to get one person to take out a loan - this will make me $1000, so I will make $100 overall. Obviously I would rather pay $1 per click, but if everyone else is paying $90, my ads won't show, I get no clicks, no loans, and make no money. So the more I pay, the more my ads are shown, and the more clicks I get. But I can't pay more than $100/click because that would result in it costing me more than $1000 for each loan application.

Finance companies can make a lot, on average, per click, so they will pay a lot to get their ads shown, upto a limit so they still make a profit.

A company that sells cheese might make only $10 per purchase, which takes on average 10 clicks to get a purchase. In this case, the cheese company obviously can't afford more than $1 per click.

Cheese companies on average don't make as much, so they have a much lower limit as their max they can pay per click.

Cutter
11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
These type of lists are more or less useless because Adwords advertisers usually are bidding different amounts for search listings than they are on the publisher network. A lot of this is the result of bidding wars between the top few of advertisers who want to show up first on Google.

On top of that, you have to take into account smart pricing. Basically this means you won't get anywhere near that amount per click.

deronsizemore
11-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Not really. This is not link whatsoever between the 'dullness' of the topic, and the amount someone will pay for a click. Neither is there a link between how often it will be clicked and how much someone will pay.

The amount someone will pay is based on the return the person paying can expect from the click. Say I run a loan company, and on average make $1000 for every loan I make. Also say that for every click I get on my ads, roughly 1 in 10 people actually take out a loan. If I pay $90 per click, then on average, it will cost me $900 to get one person to take out a loan - this will make me $1000, so I will make $100 overall. Obviously I would rather pay $1 per click, but if everyone else is paying $90, my ads won't show, I get no clicks, no loans, and make no money. So the more I pay, the more my ads are shown, and the more clicks I get. But I can't pay more than $100/click because that would result in it costing me more than $1000 for each loan application.

Finance companies can make a lot, on average, per click, so they will pay a lot to get their ads shown, upto a limit so they still make a profit.

A company that sells cheese might make only $10 per purchase, which takes on average 10 clicks to get a purchase. In this case, the cheese company obviously can't afford more than $1 per click.

Cheese companies on average don't make as much, so they have a much lower limit as their max they can pay per click.

Ah, okay. I think I might be starting to understand some of this. So basically advertisers pay so much per click for their ads to show up on adsense and it all depends on how much the advertiser is willing to pay. So if I for example if I bid 5 dollars per click through adwords then everytime my ad showed up on someones site through adsense and was clicked, I'd in return have to pay 5 dollars. Is this correct?

chromate
11-01-2005, 01:14 PM
deronsizemore, yep that's right. Though in practice, you normally end up paying less than your maximum bid. But that's beside the point, because you're really interested in adsense. So in answer to your question, yes, sites about higher paying keywords will generate more revenue PER CLICK. But you have to realise that the more expensive the keyword, the more competition there will be. So you could end up with a site that gets no clicks because you can't get the search engine rankings.

For this reason, I think it's sometimes better to target cheaper keywords, as it can be easier to get the traffic. No traffic = no clicks = no revenue. So strike a balance.

Billyray
11-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Correct and Adsense would share this $5 with the site owner.

Cutter
11-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Only partially correct ;)

Just because I bid $5 a click on an Adwords campaign that doesn't mean thats what I end up paying, and its definately not what the publisher gets. Read up on Google's smart pricing.

Billyray
11-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Only partially correct ;)

LOL ... started writing to try and explain about max bids and then thought I was just complicating my answer and cut to the simple answer. Which is why Chromate beat me to the punch. :rolleyes:

vetinari
11-15-2005, 06:39 AM
its best to do something that u like and get 10,000's of low paying clicks rather than an extra 1 dollar or so for less clicks ;)