PDA

View Full Version : no control panel dedicated server

thebillionaire
10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
how does a dedicated server on a linux server look like ? like a windows OS?

Emancipator
10-28-2005, 07:49 PM
you dont want a no control panel option... honestly from your past posts your asking for serious trouble.

thebillionaire
10-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I do im just asking, trying to collect information

AndyH
10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
You should make one dedicated server help thread for yourself.

As for your question. You will have to get a SSH client such as PuTTY (free - what I and alot use). It looks like a DOS prompt (run -> "cmd").

Yeah, you definatly won't be able to manage your websites without a control panel - CPanel would be the best for you.

If you have none you would need to learn about Apache VirtualHosts and alot more - set up email, FTP accounts etc.

freekrai
10-31-2005, 08:19 AM
Well, you can manage your sites without a control panel, it's just more work.
I do sysadmin for a client here in town who doesn't have any sort of control panel on their servers. you' re all over the place setting up the named files, then setting up hosts and then setting up virtualhosts.
Much more work than simply adding a new site via the control panel.

Blue Cat Buxton
11-01-2005, 06:58 AM
I have managed servers on site before - If they meed physically rebooting, you just go and trun the thing off.

What are the timeframes and costs associated with a shutdown restart on remotely hosted / dedicated machines?

moonshield
11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
the only way I can see having no control panel is if you have only one website on the server, because then you are not dealing with virtual hosts.

Virtual hosts without a control panel are a major pain in the neck. I tried it, it's no fun.

freekrai
11-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I've found it fine for multiple web sites.
It just wouldn't be good for having multiple web hosting clients.
No control panel when you sell web sites = P.I.T.A x 50

MarkB
11-01-2005, 02:37 PM
If you don't want the cost of a control panel, then look at Webmin (http://www.webmin.com/) (we use webmin at work to handle all of our client's web/email spaces). It's not as nice as CPanel, but it does get the job done AND is free.

Mike Hunt
11-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Virtualhosts are trivial to setup without a control panel.

moonshield
11-02-2005, 10:23 AM
yea especially when you are trying to set up email and DNS zones for each one. Lots o' fun.

Webmin is fine but very 'clunky'. It's not the most refined control panel I have ever seen.