PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding large content sites

s2kinteg916
10-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I set a new goal to maximize my time by promoting and building content rather than building sites.

Do you guys build your content over time ? like set a goal of something new each day ? or Do you work nonstop for the first 2 weeks to get the site going than update every other week.

Ive notice i would work on sites than get burnout and than it really slows down building content building and promotion.

Emancipator
10-28-2005, 12:04 PM
content is a daily event for me.. typically 10 to 20 new items.

Chris
10-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I definitely do the whole "nonstop for 2 weeks" bit at first. But then it usually severely tapers off.

Emancipator
10-28-2005, 12:50 PM
so you go non-stop for 2 weeks and then wait for indexing and let it go on its own with occasional updates? What sort of topics do you do that with. With my primary topic I dont think people would keep visiting me. :)

chromate
10-28-2005, 12:53 PM
In the past I've tended to work hard at the start to get things going and then I switch almost entirely to link building. Now I plan on doing things a bit different. I'll get the site started and build links as before but I'll outsource content creation as an ongoing thing.

I can honestly say, I haven't updated any of my sites in months. Not good :( But I've been working on new stuff and any time I do put into my existing sites is "link building time."

Emancipator
10-28-2005, 12:56 PM
thats an interesting concept.... where do you get your content written up? I find the price hindering.

chromate
10-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I haven't created any sites like this yet. But I plan to. I've used content writers in the past and can get 600 word articles created for $6 each, targeting niche keyphrases. When I get going I hope to get a couple of new articles added each day.

Edit: Oh, from reading the blog, I now understand that there was some confusion with the quote and they would actually offer $1600/month.

BTW Chris, I don't know how you can keep your head reading through some of the crazy comments the blog posts receive. Sometimes really winds me up :rolleyes:

Chris
10-28-2005, 01:45 PM
so you go non-stop for 2 weeks and then wait for indexing and let it go on its own with occasional updates? What sort of topics do you do that with. With my primary topic I dont think people would keep visiting me. :)
I tend to make large reference sites that do not require regular updating.

r2d2
10-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Two weeks non-stop (or more like 2 months near non stop more likely :) ) - then upload site, followed by minimal updates to content and work on links.

After the next site, I plan to stop making sites for a while and concentrate on improving old ones.

I also may start outsourcing content. $6 for 500 words is a bargain!

chromate
10-28-2005, 03:51 PM
$6 for 500 words is a bargain!

Yep, but that's for a bulk load like 100 articles or more. Otherwise I think it would be more, unless it's a writer desperate for work, in which case the quality may not be so good.

John
10-28-2005, 03:58 PM
I haven't created any sites like this yet. But I plan to. I've used content writers in the past and can get 600 word articles created for $6 each, targeting niche keyphrases. When I get going I hope to get a couple of new articles added each day.

Thats What I plan on doing, but I figured around $10 in article. I plan on investing around $2500 on content over a few different sites I'm going to launch. Should be interesting to see how they work out.

Emancipator
10-28-2005, 04:23 PM
im looking at developing some new content sites as well and would definitely pay for 50 + articles for it... and Chris i now see what you mean... that sort of content would only need occasional updates.

r2d2
10-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Yep, but that's for a bulk load like 100 articles or more. Otherwise I think it would be more, unless it's a writer desperate for work, in which case the quality may not be so good.

Even better I would say! Searching for content could end up taking as long as writing it if you were doing it by the article. 100 articles on a subject for $600 would be great.