PDA

View Full Version : Spam from my domain

asphalt
10-26-2005, 07:38 AM
It looks like someone decided to spoof an address from my domain and send spam to a number of people. Is there anything I can do to prevent this, it is very frustrating.

What is amazing is the number of people who actually answer these emails looking for more info... ???

Thanks
James

Westech
10-26-2005, 07:59 AM
The first thing to do is to double check your server and make sure that you don't have an open mail relay or some other vulnerability that hackers are using to actually send mail from your server.

If it's really not coming from your server and the spammer is just spoofing your address then there's not much that you can do except explain the situation to the people who contact you. If you can find one of them who is halfway technically competent you could ask them to send you the full headers of the email so that you can determine the ISP who owns the originating IP address and report the spammer to them. Depending on the ISP they may or may not do anything about it.

Chris
10-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Yup, it sucks when this happens.

asphalt
10-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Ok that is kind of what I thought, I just kind of got scared when I had all of these out of office replies, and people asking for more info on some new diet pill.

sandman
11-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the club. I looked at the headers on mine and found that they were coming from an IP in China and they were using Pine as the email client.

Its tapered off lately so maybe it will pass.

asphalt
11-01-2005, 09:32 AM
It is starting to slow down now.

I still can't believe how many people try to receive more info from these con's amazing.