PDA

View Full Version : dedicated

thebillionaire
10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
alright, I may switch to dedicated now, I have been using shared so I dont know much about them, like what types of things can screw up on a dedicated server, why are there managed and not managed, are the problems difficult to resolve? if the server goes to down time does it automaticly comeon line or do we have to manualy restart? what is the restart feature need?

AndyH
10-25-2005, 05:33 PM
What can screw up?
Hardware and software.

Are the problems difficult to resolve?
Google is your friend most of the time. The place you lease it from will be helpful normally also.

If the server goes to down time does it automaticly comeon line or do we have to manualy restart?
If the whole server freezes then you will need to contact the datacenter and get them to manually reboot it. Or use a reboot switch if you are given that feature. If httpd (webserver) freezes you are going to need to login and restart it ("service httpd restart" is the command normally).

Emancipator
10-25-2005, 05:45 PM
for a person looking for dedicated hosting with NO headaches use Nexcess. I use it and love it.

Westech
10-25-2005, 08:34 PM
thebillionaire, I mean this in the nicest way possible:

If you have to ask the questions you're asking and you get an unmanaged dedicated server then it can and will mess up. There are a lot of things that need to be done to keep a webserver updated, optimized, secure, and running smoothly.

It's certainly possible to learn as you go using forums, google, etc., but you should expect that bad things will happen while you're learning and your site will be down while you try to fix each one of them.

If you want to avoid extensive downtimes while you're learning the ropes I would highly recommend investing in a good server administrator. On the other hand, if you want to learn and don't mind a little downtime then go for it! Just make sure that you always keep current backups. :)

thebillionaire
10-25-2005, 09:22 PM
any where I can find more about dedicated servers, and the odds and ends?

WebairGerard
10-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Go with a managed dedicated server. I am sure you can find one that meets your budget and needs. Feel free to ask me or any other hosts that hang here.

Westech
10-26-2005, 07:46 AM
If you do that make sure that you're perfectly clear on what the host means by "managed." Some sell what they cliam are managed servers but don't really do everything that needs to be done to keep one up.

A couple of good places to learn more on managing dedicated servers yourself are www.webhostingtalk.com (this is also a good place to research the reputations of different admins and hosts) and at the forums at www.ev1servers.net

Masetek
10-26-2005, 07:58 AM
If you're looking to learn linux, buy a piece of s&*t machine, install linux, and run it as a web sever for your local network at home. That's what I am doing. That way you can test it, break it, play with it..whatever. I am no where near even thinking about a dedicated, but when I am, I want to have as much knowledge of linux and webserver software as possible.

chromate
10-26-2005, 01:10 PM
thebillionaire, you haven't actually said why you need a dedicated server? I still use shared and have no problems. Are your sites running slow or something?

r2d2
10-26-2005, 01:14 PM
And perhaps it would also be useful if you told us what your current hosting arrangements are?

If you let us know the problems you are having to require an upgrade, maybe the hosting experts here could offer a better (& cheaper) solution.

etech-martin
10-27-2005, 03:31 AM
IMHO, if your site has high traffic and your web site might start coming up slower then you should switch to your own dedicated server that would be reliable. It will enhance performance of your Web sites with great extent. With an unmanaged Web hosting account, you or somebody in your company will need to know how to manage server or you can take help by reliable and expert team from outsourcing companies to manage it.
With a managed dedicated server, more of the management issues are in the hands of the Web host. You should check for reliable and reputed web host with 24/7 tech support.
You should go through the article on w3schools.com; it will be help you for getting basic idea clear. IMO, you should go through it. http://www.thewhir.com/reseller/dir/managed.cfm.
All the best! :)

thebillionaire
10-27-2005, 08:49 AM
And perhaps it would also be useful if you told us what your current hosting arrangements are?

If you let us know the problems you are having to require an upgrade, maybe the hosting experts here could offer a better (& cheaper) solution.

its for my flash game site