PDA

View Full Version : Chris - New Big Ideas?

Mike Hunt
10-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey Chris (and anybody else!)-

Just curious - are you working on anything new? Anything that seems to have potential? Now that datafeed sites seem to be diminishing in returns.

Chris
10-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Not really. My datafeed sites were always meant as short term money makers.

I'm at the point now where I don't need more money. Sure, it'd be nice, I'm not going to turn it down, but if I never increased my monthly income I'd live very comfortably for the rest of my life.

So my focus as of late is more on obtaining long term sources or income, or or doing what I can to increase the potential longevity of my current sites.

Basically right now I'm into forum based content sites, as they have the most staying power. I have one I'm almost ready to launch, another preexisting site whose forum is about to be launched, and then I think I want to make a blog.

Thats all I got up my sleeve at the moment.

Mike Hunt
10-24-2005, 02:58 PM
What forum-based sites do you have? Seems like quite a few people are doing well with them. I'm thinking about starting some, but don't want to have to spend much time at all dealing with users. It also seems like it'd be rather difficult getting a community started.

How are your real estate projects going? Still figuring out that rental construction project?

Chris
10-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I have this forum, online-literature.com, thefantasyforum.com and the two in the works

AndyH
10-24-2005, 04:53 PM
and anybody else!Buying a house, but that isn't what you ment. :cool:

The New Guy
10-24-2005, 05:29 PM
House to live in or for profit?

AndyH
10-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Live in. First house. I just want to get out of this apartment.

Cutter
10-24-2005, 06:39 PM
I've got a couple sites that are going very strong, so I've been focusing most of my time and energy on them. Each of the site has an e-mail newsletter which requires quite a bit of work each month to put together.

I'd really like to build a social networking site. I've got an idea for a very specific, but strong niche (which I already have a good traffic stream with.) After doing some more research it looks like it would require quite a hefty investment. In 6 months to a year I'll re-evalute it and go from there.

Mike Hunt
10-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Live in. First house. I just want to get out of this apartment.
Where do you live in Australia? What are housing/apartment prices like there?

Mike Hunt
10-24-2005, 07:00 PM
I've got a couple sites that are going very strong, so I've been focusing most of my time and energy on them. Each of the site has an e-mail newsletter which requires quite a bit of work each month to put together.

I'd really like to build a social networking site. I've got an idea for a very specific, but strong niche (which I already have a good traffic stream with.) After doing some more research it looks like it would require quite a hefty investment. In 6 months to a year I'll re-evalute it and go from there.
Who do you use for your email newsletter host?

Cutter
10-24-2005, 08:35 PM
aweber.com

I've been using them since May or June, no problems. I did a lot of research and it just didn't make any sense for me to run it from some script & have to deal with both technical issues and spam complaints when I could pay $20 a month for an experienced company to do it. Aweber was the name that came up most often so thats what I went with.

Doug
10-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Here's my new big idea. Forget about becomming an electrical engineer and take web design as a major in college. I realized that I am really unhappy and stressed out right now about college. The homework is horrible. If I was in web design classes what would the homework be? I work on websites anyway, so I already have good study habbits. :D

AndyH
10-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Where do you live in Australia? What are housing/apartment prices like there?
Queensland - South-east which I heard (no facts) was the fastest growing enconomy/area in Australia.

Property has slumped like everywhere else which is good for me.

Water front: $1 mill+
Normal nice houses: $450k-$800k

I'm looking for a place for around $600k. I'll be sure to make a thread when I get one. :)

chromate
10-25-2005, 02:58 AM
I'm at the point now where I don't need more money. Sure, it'd be nice, I'm not going to turn it down, but if I never increased my monthly income I'd live very comfortably for the rest of my life.

But.. but... what about the castle? :)

MarkB
10-25-2005, 03:40 AM
SE Qld has average price of $450k-800k now? :eek: I remember when you get could get a house and land package for around $120k.

Billyray
10-25-2005, 05:30 AM
Gee Mark you must be older than me. Over 2001 - 2003 prices basically doubled in SE Qld. You can still get a house and land package for $240k but probably out near Ipswich. Prices on the coast and inner city like Andy said. Don't worry a 2% rate rise will bring them back down quickly.

MarkB
10-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I left Brisbane in early 2002 (and stopped looking at house prices around 1999 when I realised I'd still be renting for a while;)).

I grew up in Ipswich, and you'd have to pay ME $240k to go back :D

Mike Hunt
10-25-2005, 02:49 PM
How large is your newsletter, Cutter?

Cutter
10-25-2005, 05:27 PM
My best is over 1,200 subscribers. Not huge, but considering its a few months old its a very good size. I have a few other small newsletters which brings the total number of subscribers to right under 2,000.

jonnyhilfiger
10-26-2005, 01:03 AM
So I guess AU$140,000 won't get me a nice brand new detached 4 bed house in Caloundra (Pelican Waters) anymore then. If I remember rightly it was an extra AU$80,000 or so for a canal side plot. This was in 1996

Knew we should have emigrated back then.

John

AndyH
10-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Pelican Waters is where I am probably getting a house. For the price I am looking for, it will get me a nice 4 bedroom place. If I were to spend that much for a place 4 streets back from the beach then it would get me...land big enough to just fit a garage ;).

Masetek
10-26-2005, 05:45 AM
My Mums house (near Batemans bay NSW) has gone from $110k to $450k in 3 years. It's all the about location. The house is nothing special. When she bought it the area was pratically a village, now some investors are pumping in 200mil to develop it and the prices are skyrocketing

jonnyhilfiger
10-26-2005, 09:46 AM
It's a lovely area (Pelican Waters) so not surprised prices have gone up so much. They hadn't built a great deal when we visited (some friends) so prices were cheap. Fantastic houses and good sized plots, if I remember rightly AU$40k would get an inland plot and AU$132k would get a 4 bed house built. Seriously wanted to move out there (wife is Aussie born) but it just didn't happen :(

Sorry for thread hijack btw.

John

SWD
10-29-2005, 06:42 PM
wow andy.. you bugina 600k house.. you really making it :) need to get my a** to work hehe