PDA

View Full Version : Chris: Affected by Update Jagger?

Mike Hunt
10-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey Chris - how were you affected by Google's latest update (given the name Jagger)? Several of my more competitive rankings dropped by about 10-40 :(

Chris
10-23-2005, 03:57 PM
No movement on most terms for me, the only major change I'm seeing so far is my coupon site, which improved. Its not much of an improvement, from not being listed to being ranked 100th for instance... but after so long of not being penalized I'm just glad to be listed.

I don't monitor individual AWS/datafeed sites either, but total traffic for my datafeed network has increased -- could just be holiday related though.

Todd W
10-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Should direct question to all - since you didn't I`ll answer anyway ;)

New results seem to be good though they are switching back and forth depending on what server google uses it seems. One day or one hour I might be ranked better then i`m back to previous rank later.

My PR went up.

deronsizemore
10-23-2005, 09:04 PM
I don't know what a Google Jagger is, but as far as pagerank on my person site, it went down to a 2 from 3.

LuckyShima
10-24-2005, 03:02 AM
I don't know what a Google Jagger is, but as far as pagerank on my person site, it went down to a 2 from 3.
Jagger is the name given to a Google update which seems to have affected some rankings. If you are concerned about your PR you should try to add a few backlinks each month, maybe just sign up to forums and put in a link. You can also get a small PR boost from guestbooks if you know where to find them.

On the thread topic of Jagger:

I don't think I was affected. I seem to have had a few slight increases for minor keywords on strong authority sites but they are always moving 3 or 4 places up and down anyway.

Some people seem to have suffered some serious drops. Not many people are saying they benefited, although a couple have.

Here are some of the theories about the algo:

Favouring corporate sites.
Punishing affiliate sites.
Punishing recriprocal links.

Interesting to know what was behind it.

chromate
10-24-2005, 03:13 AM
Favouring corporate sites.
Punishing affiliate sites.
Punishing recriprocal links.

... So the usual stuff then :rolleyes: No big changes for me.

Masetek
10-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Increases for me :D

Chris
10-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Looks like I might have gotten a PR increase on my lit site too. Now even some subpages are 7s

Chris
10-26-2005, 06:39 PM
more changes today, backlinks up, pages in url for my lit site doubled to around 140k

Shockt
10-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Thumbs up for my update. Increased PR, one domain unbanned, its all good :D

dburdon
10-27-2005, 05:14 AM
I notice Chromate has a list of negatives to do with Jagger. Is there any evidence that reciprocal links are being punished?

Todd W
10-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Still changing as far as I can tell... Bouncing from page 1,2,4 on google.

Doug
10-27-2005, 08:59 PM
I wasn't aware of the update but a couple weeks ago my strange facts site went to the first page, then the second "where it was" then to the first, the back to second, and not it rests seventh for a search of strange facts. I had been working to get it onto the first page for some time but I don't think I even did anything the first day it jumped to first page, maybe it had something to do with the update.