PDA

View Full Version : psychology

thebillionaire
10-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I have psychology/anthropology next semester and it sounds all cool, but the teachers always ask this question. and its wierd, what do you think the answer is?

if a tree falls and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

The New Guy
10-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Its a lame question, but this is the answer I always give.

No, it does not make a sound. It makes sound waves, which must be interpreted by the ear to produce what we call sound.

Chris
10-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Thats a stupid question. People who bandy that about (and aren't doing it as a joke) are just trying to make themselves seem smart and thoughtful.

I prefer more practical questions like, "How do they make M&Ms" and "Why are man hole covers round?"

thebillionaire
10-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Thats a stupid question. People who bandy that about (and aren't doing it as a joke) are just trying to make themselves seem smart and thoughtful.

I prefer more practical questions like, "How do they make M&Ms" and "Why are man hole covers round?"

or how do they try to get the caramel in the caramel chocolate bar

LuckyShima
10-23-2005, 06:21 PM
In the context of beginning to study psychology it might be more geared towards encouraging the processes of thinking and discussion rather than actually coming up with a correct answer. That is why they use a question which does not have a clearly defined correct or incorrect answer.

James
10-23-2005, 06:30 PM
or how do they try to get the caramel in the caramel chocolate bar
Or why is it that humans dislike the scent of B.O. though it's supposed to be used to attract the opposite sex and our armpit hair's existence is primarily to trap?

thebillionaire
10-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Or why is it that humans dislike the scent of B.O. though it's supposed to be used to attract the opposite sex

it does, but the thing is our B.O will be atrract only certain girls (or boys), but the rest find it nasty, its still not know why one some girls are attracted and some are not, and the chances are that you wont meet that girl who finds ur scent attractive

James
10-23-2005, 07:39 PM
it does, but the thing is our B.O will be atrract only certain girls (or boys), but the rest find it nasty, its still not know why one some girls are attracted and some are not
Just like Axe only attracts the girls in the commercials! I get it!

thebillionaire
10-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Just like Axe only attracts the girls in the commercials! I get it!

lol, true true. I dont think I've ever put axe on. Even if I did it would be as a normal day:

me Walking with friends...pass girls:

girls: psst..psst..psst "eww look at that guy" ...pst..

lol :)

Todd W
10-23-2005, 08:53 PM
lol, true true. I dont think I've ever put axe on. Even if I did it would be as a normal day:

me Walking with friends...pass girls:

girls: psst..psst..psst "eww look at that guy" ...pst..

lol :)

sounds like a personal problem :p

James
10-24-2005, 03:52 AM
For me it's more like

girls: ooohhhhh he's sexy, but let's just say he's gross anyways

*looks around suspiciously*

Mike Hunt
10-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Psychology and anthropology were really easy and pretty interesting classes. But largely useless. I aced both.

thebillionaire
10-24-2005, 01:50 PM
For me it's more like

girls: ooohhhhh he's sexy, but let's just say he's gross anyways

*looks around suspiciously*

lol oh yea, your avartar resembles you :)