PDA

View Full Version : no people use ASP?

tommy_sir
10-18-2005, 09:35 PM
i find many people use PHP, but in china many people use ASP.

Emancipator
10-19-2005, 07:01 AM
asp servers are to damn expensive for my tastes.. but one day i will learn asp :)

Chris
10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
ASP runs on Windows machines, which, all security & performance issues aside, cost more than linux machines.

Emancipator
10-19-2005, 10:15 AM
exactly...

r2d2
10-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I use ASP at work, and I much prefer PHP.

I wonder why many people in China use it? What portion would you say use ASP Tommy_sir?

etech-martin
10-19-2005, 11:41 AM
We prefer php for web development. It has nice features along with security reasons and cheaper as it is for open source. I like development in ASP too but it is for windows server which is quite expensive stuff.

Chris
10-19-2005, 01:42 PM
I use ASP at work, and I much prefer PHP.

I wonder why many people in China use it? What portion would you say use ASP Tommy_sir?
What I wonder is how many people in China use it on non-bootlegged copies of Windows?

MarkB
10-19-2005, 02:23 PM
The cost of windows v. linux servers depends on your host; some hosts charge the same.

I'm starting a project in ASP for a client (having to give myself a crash course!), and it's not TOO difficult. But then, I've only built a login system so far :)

PHP is still the easiest for me.

tommy_sir
10-19-2005, 09:42 PM
What I wonder is how many people in China use it on non-bootlegged copies of Windows?
yes, many server runs in the copies of windows, it is cheap for us.
PHP runs in the English system such as LINUX, most of them is english, but windows has the chinese version, so i think why many people use it in china.
but in fact i like PHP +MYSQL more.

Snowballer
10-30-2005, 01:04 PM
are you guys referring to shared hosting being more expensive? Dedicated boxes seem to be around the same price....

the advantage of php is that you get mysql (mssql is way more $$)

Todd W
11-05-2005, 09:24 PM
are you guys referring to shared hosting being more expensive? Dedicated boxes seem to be around the same price....

the advantage of php is that you get mysql (mssql is way more $$)

MS Licenses suck not to mention people that program for MS stuff or just 'assist' in anything MS have "Licenses" and think they should get paid hundreds per-hour. MS may be a good choice for a corporation looking for great support and options but I know first hand for a small - med business it's to costly and you have to jump through so many hoops.

i`m in the middle of converting ASP -> PHP for a local company because MS products cost to much to run.

Masetek
11-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Open source rules!!!!

Hylo
11-07-2005, 03:33 AM
I trained in ASP and VB6 and all the companies I've worked for (including my current job) have used MS technologies but I always use PHP and MySQL for my own stuff these days, mainly because there is just so much open source software available to tweak and modify while I pick up all the nuances of working in PHP and the cost of hosting is also lower.