PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail Generated from Forums

snowboarder
10-17-2005, 06:08 AM
Perhaps this is wrong forum for this question, so if it is, please direct me to one that is more appropriate. I dont' know where else to turn......

I've been posting in my favorite snowboarding forum now for several years and another forum member managed to send me an e-mail, even though I do not include the e-mail in my profile, nor have I given it out to anyone expressly to prevent that kind of activity. How can this happen?

The report to moderator tab on this particular forum is worthless. The forum software is Fusetalk. Is that a known security hole in Fusetalk?

MarkB
10-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Is there a feature where a user can email you from within the forum framework without needing to know your email address (vBulletin and other packages have this feature). Or did this use email you directly (ie, no indication it was passed on by the forum software)?

Chris
10-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Is it also possible that over the years you let your email address slip and do not remember it?

snowboarder
10-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Mark B -- This incident happened before they upgraded to the version that allows you to send a private message, ie; send a message without displaying the e-mail recipient’s e-mail address. They have that feature now, but they didn't at the time this person e-mailed me.

Chris -- No, the scary thing was the e-mail came to my work account. I had used the forum over my lunch break, then about 1/2 hour later, here shows up this guy's message in my work e-mail account.

**edited for typo.

Chris
10-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Is the person a moderator at the forum? Mods generally can lookup a person's email address.

r2d2
10-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Perhaps it is someone who knows you, and they didnt get the email address from the forum?

snowboarder
10-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Chris -- I've often asked myself the same question and the answer is, I simply don't know. It's possible, I suppose -- who else would have access not just to your e-mail but your ISP address? The e-mail that he generated from the forum to my address was via an e-mail account that is not in my profile, yet it did come to a computer that I use at the office.

R2D2 -- I've never personally met any of the other forum members, nor exchanged e-mails with them.

Guess it's a burning question that I'll never find the answer to, but it sure is creepy.

John
10-17-2005, 12:09 PM
It does seem a little strange. I work for the federal government and I'd hate for someone I don't know to get my work email so I only browse trusted sites/forums while I'm at work, just to be safe.