PDA

View Full Version : How many of you do this?

deronsizemore
10-15-2005, 09:52 PM
The more I read about website publishing the more interested I get in it and the more I want to start making some money from some site ideas I have. Ever since I first started reading about publishing sites and how to make money, now it seems that's all I do, is think about new site concepts. I've currently got about 30 domains wrote down that I'd like to purchase sometime or the other and make into a site....anyone else like this? Seems I can't even go to the grocery anymore without comming up with a new idea or something. :D

John
10-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I do the exact same thing, I have an entire notepad filled with ideas. If I had the time to get half of them off the ground I'm sure I'd be rich.

Shockt
10-16-2005, 01:38 AM
Same here. I have 20+ domains waiting to be developed. I just need to get off my lazy *** and do it.

jonnyhilfiger
10-16-2005, 03:25 AM
Yep, all the time. Am actually trying to work towards actually seeing through the ideas now though rather than just having the idea and registering a domain name.

One thing I would say though is that developing sites that will stand the test of time is very time consuming to do properly. I find it extremely difficult to find the time to develop a site whilst still having to do a day job (self employed) to pay the mortgage and feed the kids (I got into web development late).

For those of you that don't have this sort of commitment, ie young, living with parents etc then a great opportunity exists for you at the moment to set yourselves up for life. Whilst you don't have the worry of mortgage payments etc make the most of your time and those ideas you have and get those sites built, by the time you are ready to settle down you could be financially sorted, what a way to start family life!

John

PS - don't mean to sound preachy, just wish I had that opportunity when I was 16.

Cutter
10-16-2005, 07:32 AM
I make a text file for each month. I write down what I need to do, and below that I write down what I want to do. If I haven't done it by the end of the month I think twice it and either can the idea or move it to the new month's text file.

deronsizemore
10-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Yep, all the time. Am actually trying to work towards actually seeing through the ideas now though rather than just having the idea and registering a domain name.

One thing I would say though is that developing sites that will stand the test of time is very time consuming to do properly. I find it extremely difficult to find the time to develop a site whilst still having to do a day job (self employed) to pay the mortgage and feed the kids (I got into web development late).

For those of you that don't have this sort of commitment, ie young, living with parents etc then a great opportunity exists for you at the moment to set yourselves up for life. Whilst you don't have the worry of mortgage payments etc make the most of your time and those ideas you have and get those sites built, by the time you are ready to settle down you could be financially sorted, what a way to start family life!

John

PS - don't mean to sound preachy, just wish I had that opportunity when I was 16.

I know the feeling...that's why most of my ideas have not be started yet. I work a crappy day job, then when I come home most of the time I don't feel like starting a website, so I just keep writing down new ideas for that time when I do get motivated and do it!

Emancipator
10-16-2005, 12:11 PM
i have a list in my brain and complete at least 1 thing every day

moonshield
10-16-2005, 01:42 PM
yea. I have this 50 domain list... Priorities in the list adjust according to the markets and new things I learn.

paul
10-16-2005, 01:58 PM
I am not a blogger, but have been looking at wordpress as a way to ease the chore of organizing and publishing webpages. I woke up this morning thinking it would make a great way to assemble draft content for a site.

It makes it easy to focus on the writing and categorys are easy to create. For a new site that I haven't really thought through I think it will make it easy to get content fragments written and an organization tested without having to think about page layout etc.

Whenever I have an idea and a few minutes I can enter it. Eventually it will be ripe to turn into real pages.

chromate
10-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I get loads of ideas all the time. Unfortunately, I'm also very good at finding reasons why the idea may fail. I'm so skeptical about stuff it really holds me up. I'm coming round to the idea that sometimes you just need to do *something* even if you can find faults with it. Even if only 1 in 10 projects eventually work out, then it's better than nothing.

James
10-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I get loads of ideas all the time. Unfortunately, I'm also very good at finding reasons why the idea may fail. I'm so skeptical about stuff it really holds me up. I'm coming round to the idea that sometimes you just need to do *something* even if you can find faults with it. Even if only 1 in 10 projects eventually work out, then it's better than nothing.
I'm the exact same way. I've probably missed out because of this.

Masetek
10-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Haha it's good to see that everyone else is doing the same as you. Everything turns into an idea for me, billboards, tv ads, the gym, going to the movies...

I write everything down too, but hardly any of these ideas get off the ground. I'd need my own team or content writers working full time to publish all the ideas I think of!

deronsizemore
10-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Haha it's good to see that everyone else is doing the same as you. Everything turns into an idea for me, billboards, tv ads, the gym, going to the movies...

I write everything down too, but hardly any of these ideas get off the ground. I'd need my own team or content writers working full time to publish all the ideas I think of!

Funny you said that. I always have ideas but never have anything to write them down with and generally forget them later when I do have something to write with. I told my wife this and she got me this little notepad I can keep in my pocket so whenever I get an idea, down it goes on my notepad! :)