PDA

View Full Version : A side effect of a SE friendly forum

Chris
10-29-2003, 06:25 AM
You get spam...

Alexbank just posted a bunch of useless posts that linked to his hosting company using the words "web hosting."

If he had written useful posts and linked in his signature it'd be fine, but it was obvious that he was only here for one reason...

Banned Members: Population 1.

Cloughie
10-29-2003, 07:14 AM
Ahhh it’s a special day for Chris, he banned his first member of WSP!

Lets have a party! :)

My banned population is:

Banned by moderators: 245
Banned users: 147

Total: 392

Think yourself lucky ;)

Also Chris is it a hack you installed? I would very much like to make WBB forums se friendly. However I heard VB3 is going to take this into account so is it really worth it?

Mike
10-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Can't see how he thought he'd get away with linking like that :p

Chris
10-29-2003, 10:00 AM
VB3 uses an archive that is SE friendly, but as far as I know the main forums are not SE friendly.

Here is how to do it:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?postid=342706

Then two posts down is a robots.txt tip that you should also do if you implement this.

Percept
10-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Wow, seems like these forums here boosted my pageranking significantly ( along with ensight ).

edit:
Euhm , I just checked my ranking for the word "webdesigner" ( for belgium only ) and I am at the 17th place. This used to be 40th a few weeks ago !

Alltough I am pleasantly surprissed by this, this one guy spamming his hostingcompany here is going to be the first in a long line if you ask me.

chromate
10-30-2003, 04:29 AM
I don't think it will be that bad. Once they realise that they will get banned hopefully they wont bother. And if they decide to anyway, they'll just have their posts moderated out, so it's no big deal.

Westech
11-19-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Chris
VB3 uses an archive that is SE friendly, but as far as I know the main forums are not SE friendly.

Actually, I'm using an unhacked vb3 (beta 7) and the main forums are listed on Google. Check it out:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=nsuforum+%22do+you+think%22

lo0ol
11-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by chromate
I don't think it will be that bad. Once they realise that they will get banned hopefully they wont bother. And if they decide to anyway, they'll just have their posts moderated out, so it's no big deal.

People will always be there to try and exploit things to their advantage, so I would guesstimate that this will happen from time to time. Just places an extra burden on Chris. :\

X Q mano
11-19-2003, 04:12 PM
I suppose he will appoint moderators as need arises, but still...

Chris
11-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Westech
Actually, I'm using an unhacked vb3 (beta 7) and the main forums are listed on Google. Check it out:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=nsuforum+%22do+you+think%22

Yes, the most recently versions are friendly. Earlier versions of beta 3 were not.