PDA

View Full Version : website statistics

deronsizemore
10-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Currently I'm using the free version of StatCounter and find it to be pretty good. Are there any others out there preferably free that are just as good or better that I could take a look at?

Shockt
10-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Unless you want to pay, you wont find anything better. I use a combination of StatCounter and the preinstalled AwStats that came with my hosting package and they work great. StatCounter is great for detailed statistics but unfortunately the free version doesnt keep more than a hundred of your last visits.. it also cannot track search engine bots. Thats what I use AwStats for.

deronsizemore
10-12-2005, 06:11 PM
What is the benefit of using the pay version? I tried to read a little on the website but all I seemed to find was that there were three upgrade packages and basically the more you pay the more your log size increased.

Also have you seen or tried this: http://www.haveamint.com/

Westech
10-12-2005, 08:07 PM
I like pphlogger a lot ( http://pphlogger.phpee.com/ ). It requires php/mysql. It's not perfect, but it's free and has worked well for me when I used it.

I'm sure that Chris will be on sooner or later and recommend AXS ( http://www.xav.com/scripts/axs/ ). It's a good system and it's free. I don't use it because it requires Perl and I like to keep Perl and cgi disabled on my servers. Otherwise AXS is what I would probably be using right now.

I've been checking out Mint and the interface looks awesome. I'm going to see if I can get the author to answer a few questions for me and then I might very well be buying a license.

I especially enjoyed this quote from the Mint site:

In order to view Mint you should be using a modern browser with support for transparent PNGs, modern DOM scripting (including XMLHTTPRequest) with competency in CSS 2. Safari or Firefox, both free, are highly recommended. Internet Explorer PC support is planned but not an immediate priority. IE Mac will not be supported.

It's about time that people started having the courage to do this.

deronsizemore
10-12-2005, 08:27 PM
I like pphlogger a lot ( http://pphlogger.phpee.com/ ). It requires php/mysql. It's not perfect, but it's free and has worked well for me when I used it.

I'm sure that Chris will be on sooner or later and recommend AXS ( http://www.xav.com/scripts/axs/ ). It's a good system and it's free. I don't use it because it requires Perl and I like to keep Perl and cgi disabled on my servers. Otherwise AXS is what I would probably be using right now.

I've been checking out Mint and the interface looks awesome. I'm going to see if I can get the author to answer a few questions for me and then I might very well be buying a license.

I especially enjoyed this quote from the Mint site:

It's about time that people started having the courage to do this.

Sounds good! Let me know what you find out about Mint. I'm very interested in it as on the surface anyway it looks very promising...and for 30 bucks, I can handle that.

Cutter
10-12-2005, 09:52 PM
AWstats is my program of choice.

I used to use Urchin, but thats not free. It was really nice. It shows all kinds of details like most common paths entry page to exit page. The problem was it generated massive log files.

Shockt
10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
I have seen Mint and am a big fan of their layout. I have not yet tried their service though. The demo movie looks awesome.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-13-2005, 09:26 AM
I used pphlogger for quite a while, then it all got screwey and crashed the server it was on - I didn't have the time/inclination to work out what was wrong so just took it off and now use AXS.

I think it was to do with the size of the logfiles pphlogger created

Westech
10-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I think it was to do with the size of the logfiles pphlogger created

Yes, it can get kind of screwy with high traffic sites. You need to periodically go in the the admin panel and click on OPTIMIZE DATABASE. It also helps to empty out the data from the databases when they get too big and start over (archiving them if necissary.) It's not an ideal thing to have to do, but hey... it's free!

Chris
10-13-2005, 04:29 PM
You know.... I wonder if Google has considered adding a feature to Adsense that acted as traffic analysis for you...

MarkB
10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
I have Mint on my blog; nice, nice tool.

r2d2
10-14-2005, 12:30 AM
You know.... I wonder if Google has considered adding a feature to Adsense that acted as traffic analysis for you...

I do actually use adsense as a basic traffic tool - somewhere where you can see pageviews for all sites quickly.

thebillionaire
10-16-2005, 11:45 AM
adsense would be good, but it servers alot of defaults, and I dont think it counts them as impressions

Chris
10-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't get that many defaults with adsense.

Chris
10-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I do actually use adsense as a basic traffic tool - somewhere where you can see pageviews for all sites quickly.
ditto... its useful when you have so many sites

thebillionaire
10-16-2005, 12:53 PM
I get quite some defulats at the begining of this month it was like 50% defaults, but other then that its good for traffic because I use the google toolbar and it updates traffic even 5 minutes or so

Michael Howard
02-14-2006, 06:57 AM
Unless you want to pay, you wont find anything better.

I don't agree. I'm using Sales-n-Stats Free edition (http://www.sales-n-stats.com/free_edition.html) since January and I'm very satisfied with the program. Installation and configuration was a bit difficult, but once installed it worked fairly well. It is free, however there are limitation on the amount of daily traffic that can be analyzed. But there are no limitations on the amount of data in the database like in StatCounter!

Westech
02-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Well, it looks like I never came back and updated Deron on Mint like he asked back in October. I did look into Mint and it looks great, but it can't handle the amount of traffic I wanted to throw at it. If you have a site with reasonable traffic levels it should work well for you.

My traffic analysis solution of choice is now Google Analytics. It works great and gives me almost all of the detail I need. It's a little lacking on reporting the specific pages that are referring traffic. I threw togeher a few lines of php to store my referers in a database so I can see the exact pages that are linking to my sites. Between this and Google Analytics I have all the info I need.

^Posted by Chris back in October. Amazing. Got any stock tips for me, Chris? :)

James
02-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Buy Google stocks now.
Better yet, buy them a few months ago.

Chris
02-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Better yet... buy it at the IPO.

No... even better, buy ASK.com stock when it was going for $1 a share a couple years ago. hehe

Cutter
02-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Stocks are such a wild ride. I've been watching the market a little bit over the past 4 years, and hell if I know whats going up and whats going down. I had no idea Google's stock would take such a ride up. Where it will be tommorow, I'm not even going to try guessing.

Westech
02-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Buy Google stocks now.
Better yet, buy them a few months ago.

Actually, if you bought Google stock a few months ago you'd be down right now: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GOOG&t=3m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

It's gone way up overall since the IPO, but it's been dropping for the last month or so.

This is why I stay out of stocks. I don't have the time to monitor them closely enough and things happen too fast.

James
02-16-2006, 02:37 AM
I didn't specify how many a few is ;)