PDA

View Full Version : Review : New DVD Site

Emancipator
10-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Just completed my new dvd site layout. Spent about 3hours tinkering on it. http://www.avixion.ca

Nothing super spiffy, not 100% complete. one thing to make note of is when you go to the site watch the header art. it changes every 6 seconds. Part of my new cms admin addon.

Still plugging in all the features, but so far its coming nicely.

John
10-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Very nice, it looks amazing. I love how it looks so simple and at the same time very detailed. Great design and layout.

Emancipator
10-11-2005, 01:42 PM
The rotating images on the top is a spin off of the rotating feature on MoviesOnline. I am glad you dig it.. I should have the other areas completed soon. It is my favorite site cms expansion so far.

s2kinteg916
10-11-2005, 01:46 PM
looks good.... you should look into netflix... seems like it would do much better than amazon... for ur sites...

paul
10-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Nothing super spiffy,

You lie! :)

Seriously, I think it is terribly hard to appreciate ones gifts. It seems so easy that it seems everyone should be able to do as well.

I could work on my sites from now until the end of time and never come close to that level of visual quality.

Emancipator
10-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Its not an aws site, I know some people thought it was earlier. I just have amazon links on the bottom ;) I have code that finds the likely relevant amazon link and links to amazon based on the content of the page. Like a dumb google ads system.

Does netflix have a good system in place with alot of control api options? I didnt see any when I looked into it a while back.

Emancipator
10-11-2005, 01:51 PM
You lie! :) Seriously, I think it is terribly hard to appreciate ones gifts. It seems so easy that it seems everyone should be able to do as well.

I could work on my sites from now until the end of time and never come close to that level of visual quality.

Thanks Paul lol. I still have to complete the footer and left column content. just havent had time to photoshop the final pieces of it.

what do you think of the header feature that changes?

paul
10-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Since I haven't been to a movie in 20 years, have never bought a DVD, and have never watched any of the currently popular TV shows, I am probably a little outside your target demographic :)

I appreciate the fact it doesn't rapidly flash at me. I appreciate the technical skill needed to design it. I am unclear if it is a "gee whiz" feature that attracts viewers or if the products shown there are ones you are featuring.

Emancipator
10-11-2005, 02:08 PM
The emphasis of the site is the news. Each article averages 500-1000 reads. Latest dvd news, commentary and of course specs and release dates.

The sites are a dime a dozen but I have a few tricks up my sleeve I intend to unleash. I wanted a dvd site easy on the eyes, fresh and fun to read. Did i succeed?

paul
10-11-2005, 02:18 PM
It's easy on the eyes and easy to read. Since its the first and only site like this I have looked at, I can't comment on fresh.

r2d2
10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
It does indeed look awesome. Great work Emancipator!

It is easy on the eye, and great to use.

If you wanted suggestions, I would just say the background down the left column looks a bit repetitive - perhaps you could reduce the more distinctive features of the image?

Did you do all the artwork in Photoshop? When you said about 3 hours - how much did you do in that time? It take me about 3 hours just making a rounded box :)

Emancipator
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
You are completely right r2. I will do followup once i make a few more changes :)

Masetek
10-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Did you do all the artwork in Photoshop? When you said about 3 hours - how much did you do in that time? It take me about 3 hours just making a rounded box :)

LOL same here!

Emancipator, your sites are always graphically awesome! The rotating header looks sweet. Let us know where you've finished it

:cool:

James
10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Its not an aws site, I know some people thought it was earlier.
*sigh* I didn't say it WAS. I said I thought it just used AWS' database to pull ASINs matched with the titles of the movies to create links.

I like the new look of it, remembering that it used to be yellow. This creates a neat contrast with the metalic futuristic parts along with the 'ye olde scroll' look in the background.

It reminds me of Ensight.org's old design, with the red down the left. The scrolls are really looking good.

My only crit is that I think it looks nicer with #86715F as the background for READ on the right.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Outstanding, really really outstanding.

Where does one start learning to use photoshop like this?

review168
11-09-2005, 08:30 AM
nice website!