PDA

View Full Version : top 10's

Cloughie
10-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Are the top 10 thread sections on www.wannabebig.com hurting its page rank?

http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=1 seems to have 0 page rank. Why is that?

chromate
10-27-2003, 07:18 AM
If the search engine can follow the top ten links then they will be hurting your PR, yes. I'm not sure if they will be crawled though.

All of your categories have a PR of 0. I would guess that this is because they haven't been followed either, due to the ?cat=1 bit in the URL.

Check your logs and see how your site has been crawled.

Cloughie
10-27-2003, 09:08 AM
I do not know how to check my logs for google bot. Last time I did I could not find anything. Does anyone have any articles on this?

Best.Flash
10-27-2003, 10:20 AM
Cloughie,

An quick way to do this is to open your log file in a text editor (Windows Wordpad) and do a search for googlebot

you should see something like this:

xx.68.87.55 - - [17/Oct/2003:04:48:51 -0400] "GET /file-on-your-site-visited.html HTTP/1.0" 200 10309 "-" "Mediapartners-Google/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)"

Chris
10-27-2003, 10:20 AM
You just gotta look at the User_Agent.

Here is one way to do it if you have shell access.

grep googlebot /your/path/to/log/file

Cloughie
10-27-2003, 10:23 AM
ok cool, I will do.

Do you know why they are not getting my categories though? They are clearly linked from the front page?

Best.Flash
10-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Checking the allinurl for your site it looks like Google's having no problem indexing all of your sites pages:

http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:wannabebig.com&num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&filter=0

As a Google update's under way give it a few days for the toolbar to show the correct PR value.

Chris
10-27-2003, 11:17 AM
how long have those categories been up?

Also SE friendly urls wouldn't hurt.

Cloughie
10-27-2003, 01:34 PM
They have been up a long time perhaps over a year.

I am considering having wbb completely redesigned in both design and cms in which case I would factor in SEO url's.

Prince
10-30-2003, 01:56 PM
yup, you're right just about every page on your site, except the main page, has a Google page rank of 0.

:confused:

Percept
10-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by chromate
If the search engine can follow the top ten links then they will be hurting your PR, yes. I'm not sure if they will be crawled though.

All of your categories have a PR of 0. I would guess that this is because they haven't been followed either, due to the ?cat=1 bit in the URL.

Check your logs and see how your site has been crawled.

I thought Search Engines were able to index pages with such an url for a while now, no ?

chromate
10-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Depends how the URL is formed. I'm not sure if in this instance it would be followed. I would guess not as all the pages have a PR of 0 and yet they've been up for over a year.

It's best to avoid any chance of them not being followed by using what we know are SE friendly URLs instead.

Percept
10-30-2003, 04:34 PM
I guess the 10 latest articles won't take to much PR otherwise I don't think Chris would put them on his frontpage ( I could be wrong offcourse ).

Maybe you could rewrite the script that gives you the last 10 threads so that the actual links get replaced with javascript links ?

chromate
10-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Chris's "last 10 posts" links are internal links. They retain the PR in-sight.

If you look at Cloughie's, they go off-site and so the PR on the site in question may be lost. Though I don't think the SE's will follow those links anyway, so it wont make any difference to the PR. Could be wrong though.

Percept
10-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Ah, yes I hadn't noticed his links went off-site. So now the real question is, do you lose PR eventough the pages you link to don't get indexed ?

Chris
10-30-2003, 09:28 PM
If google doesn't index the page, then no you don't lose PR.

I haven't actually looked at Cloughie's problem because he already said he is going to switch to SE friendly URLs so its kinda a non-issue now since he is going to change things anyways.

Cloughie
10-31-2003, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I will review it when I change things up a little.

Chris I am going to be writing the guide for the redesign of my website this weekend and I was wondering if I could run it by you first to ensure I am thinking about the areas I need to think about for SEO?

It won’t be too long ;)