PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress - Help with pages

Blue Cat Buxton
10-05-2005, 04:27 AM
I have permalinks set up fine on a wordpress blog, but have just added a page, rather than a post and I get a 404 error.

The 'slug' is called about. The url works fine if i add index.php (so index.php/about/ but the link from the side bar only points to /about/

The permalink for posts works fine without index.php in the url

Can anyone help me sort this out?

Blue Cat Buxton
10-05-2005, 05:01 AM
OK, I have sorted it - needed to delete .htaccess and start again manually updating it rather than letting wordpress do it

James
10-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Interesting: it works for me.

Is your website a URL such as site.com/blog/about/ ?
because I was having this issue with my site when I had an index.html file as a coming soon page on Villainous Sandwich (http://villainoussandwich.com).com, but as you can see, the about page on that site's working fine atm.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Ha - I looked at villianous sandwich (great name) followed a link from toolazy, knowing you are the wordpress expert :) and that convinced me to persevere, as it was working for you.

I think the problem was that my htaccess file was not writeable when I first created the page and wordpress got in a muddle from there.

deleting it and then creating a blank htaccess, making it writable and recreating the permalinks and about page made it work properly (and no, it is just site.com/about)