PDA

View Full Version : How much do you think this name is worth?

deronsizemore
10-03-2005, 08:08 AM
www.kentuckygolf.com

I am looking to buy it and the owner wants me to make an offer...

Cutter
10-03-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd say if you can get it for under $3,000 you are getting a good deal.

kingsimon999
10-03-2005, 12:59 PM
under $3000 :O whats so special about this domain?

Im not experienced in the golf or domains with US states in them, but surely this isnt worth over $1k?

I would be very interested to hear why it is worth just under $3k.

LuckyShima
10-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Under $1,000, maybe well under, but more if you can find a specific buyer that has some special desire for it.

deronsizemore
10-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Well there is no way in this world I can spend 1k or more for a domain name. I was hoping maybe 200 or around there. I guess its kinda like baseball cards...you can look them up and they can be work a million according to a book but its only worth a million if someone will give that much for it.

Chris
10-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Especially when other similar domains are likely available for the cost of a registration.

LuckyShima
10-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Just offer low and see what he says. The problem is he will increase the price whatever you offer.

r2d2
10-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I was surprised by talk of $3000 too - I can't see why it would be worth much more than the registration...

4kentuckygolf.com is available :)

deronsizemore
10-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I was surprised by talk of $3000 too - I can't see why it would be worth much more than the registration...

4kentuckygolf.com is available :)

Ohh...thanks for the tip! That's not a bad name.

Yeah the 3k suprised me really! I ask the same question at SitePoint and was told it was "worthless"

Cutter
10-03-2005, 02:12 PM
If he says $1000 and he you can't buy it, PM me!

You guys need to be watching the weekly domain sales charts: http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Kentucky Golf is very specific and highly brandable. I've never been to Kentucky, but I'd guess that there are quite a few courses & players in the state.

If you have a one word domain then you are talking about paying really, really big money. I believe two word domains still have a lot of value.

Golf is an upscale market, if you want a quick site that relies only on SE traffic then 4kentuckygolf.com is great. If you want a site that you can sell in 5 or 10 years kentuckygolf.com is a lot better!

Here's a good example, DallasFlorist.com brought in $3,999 last month.

deronsizemore
10-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Well funny enough they guy got back with me today on my offer and told me that he was sorry but they were looking for something in the 7,000 range. Now am I just a complete idiot here to think it is not worth that much or is he the idiot to think it is? I guess worth to different people but it isn't worth 7k to me. Not when I can get similar names for 8 bucks.

I also asked another guy about www.oxtalk.com and he told me he wanted 2,000. Which again I think is ludacris.

paul
10-04-2005, 06:34 PM
An old real estate buying rule that I think applies here is "Don't try to buy from unmotivated sellers."

Cutter
10-04-2005, 09:34 PM
When you think about domain names, think about it this way:

Assume that the domain system, as it is today, still will exist 20, 30, 40, 50, years from now, hell, maybe 100. What does that make a short, logical domain name worth?

From a small web publisher standpoint its insane to pay $7,000 for something you could get for $10 when you add a number to the front.

Think about how much money someone who wants to start a golf course in Kentucky has to invest -- just in real estate. Its a hell of a lot more than $7,000.

I used to be a big skeptic about domain name prices -- not anymore.

LuckyShima
10-05-2005, 12:35 AM
I check out dnjournal occassionally, but from the last time to this time there sure has been a upward spike in the value of domains at the lower end. I recently bought a name from buy#domains and although I thought they had really got me to pay a lot for the name, from the look of the prices on dnjournal it seems that maybe I got a bargain.

webcs
10-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Depends on the inherit demand of the domain name or the site. My suggestion is have a professional evaluation of the domain name. I know time2sell.com does them.