PDA

View Full Version : 1and1 vs GoDaddy

phpprince
09-29-2005, 07:48 PM
I've been with 1and1 before I started getting some names from godaddy.

1and1 is good because of price ($5 plus) but it seems it's easier to resell domains from godaddy because it seems everybody else has a godaddy account. domain mame sellers on eBay always mention godaddy.

should I switch all my names to godaddy or have them split?

James
09-29-2005, 09:21 PM
GoDaddy's interface sucks, and it's coated in ads.

moonshield
09-29-2005, 09:22 PM
eh, I switched over 50+ domains from 1and1 to registefly.com and it was VERY painful because of 1and1. registerfly.com is a much better service.

Cutter
09-29-2005, 09:25 PM
I've got my domains between registerfly and godaddy. Sometime in the near future I'm going to be moving my most valuable domains to another registrar.

I've had quite a few problems with registerfly's interface in the past -- fortunately these issues are fixed now.

r2d2
09-30-2005, 12:41 AM
I gradually moving all my domains to registerfly - its a breath of fresh air compared to GoDaddy.

What sort of problems did you have Cutter, and how long ago were they?

MarkB
09-30-2005, 01:47 AM
The only thing irking me about registerfly at the moment is their PayPal system is down (being 'revamped' or some ****). You can pay with paypal if you send them a support ticket, but who really wants the hassle?

ogito
09-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Does anyone use namecheap.com ?

Masetek
09-30-2005, 07:13 AM
GoDaddy's interface sucks, and it's coated in ads.

Yeah too right, I hate their interface so I don't buy through them anymore.

I use namecheap. Cheap domains and love their interface. And you get free private whois for a year. I don't know what they're like for selling/transferring though.

:)

ASP-Hosting.ca
09-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Does anyone use namecheap.com ?

I use them, and I haven't had any problems so far.

Cutter
09-30-2005, 07:17 AM
I gradually moving all my domains to registerfly - its a breath of fresh air compared to GoDaddy.

What sort of problems did you have Cutter, and how long ago were they?

When I first started using them, just about a year ago. There were issues with things not getting added to the shopping cart, so I'd log in to buy some domains and then end up making like 3 orders. Sucks for them, the credit card fees probably killed their profit margins :D

ASP-Hosting.ca
09-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Does registerfly offer whois privacy, if yes how much does it cost?

r2d2
09-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Yes they do (http://www.registerfly.com/protectfly/), its 99c per year :)

Cutter
09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
That was actually the #1 reason why I switched from GoDaddy, which charges something like $10 a year.

thebillionaire
09-30-2005, 01:27 PM
godaddy is the best domain site, but I dont have alot of domains so I dont mind the $10

James
09-30-2005, 03:07 PM
godaddy is the best domain site
Completely unsupported. Provide some evidence. So far I can see nothing that says it's the best, or even better than the other large domain name registrars.

r2d2
09-30-2005, 03:48 PM
godaddy is the best domain site, but I dont have alot of domains so I dont mind the $10

I'm interested to know the other domain sites you have used?

In what way do you find it better than all the others?

LuckyShima
09-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Does registerfly offer whois privacy, if yes how much does it cost?
I was looking at this feature at enom recently, which I assume is its "ID Protect" service.

I checked the price here:

http://www.enom.com/privacy-protection/domain-name-whois-privacy.asp

and it was $8

"Protect your domains now (look for )
ID Protect FAQ $8.00/yr"

But I wasn't logged in, so I logged in for the special members deal but it cost more, it cost $12 :eek:

"Protect your domains now (look for )
ID Protect FAQ $12.00/yr"

Even the "not logged in" price seems a bit expensive, and I can't see how I can buy it without logging in :mad:

(you might have to refresh your screen to see both prices if they haven't changed them).

yourownfriend
08-28-2008, 05:07 AM
I've been with Godaddy for a long time. Their service is good, I don't like all the ads on their website.Also one day I registered over 50 domains with them over the phone, the lady that I spoke to told me she was going to get back to me with some sort of discount or promotion but she never did. Customer service isn't that good.

I decided to move all my domains to 1 and 1 because their interface is cleaner, without ads and it's more professional. I think if you are a designer or developer and do that for a living, choose 1and1. If you just have a couple of domains and are more amateur then choose godaddy.

Top Cougar
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
I have heard fantastic things about GoDaddy. I have also heard some terrible things. Maybe it is different for different users.