PDA

View Full Version : MSN Update?

jaybird691
09-29-2005, 11:18 AM
I had my management site ranked number one on MSN's search engine for "how to be a good manager" since it was spidered and then all of a sudden my traffic dies this week and I check the search engine and the site can't even be located for over 20 pages of search. How do you go from number 1 to nothing? Especially since the sites that are there are mostly irrelevant. UGGGGGGHHHHH
I know that SEO is a lot of work and stuff and I got lucky but to go from #1 to nowhere is nuts. Last week was the highest week in the site's operation - almost a hundred uniques - yeah go ahead and laugh. I was finally starting to see Adsense growth, etc. Now back to the drawing board.

Anyone else depend on MSN search for traffic?
PS. Now all of a sudden the traffic I am getting is coming from Yahoo. Go figure.

paul
09-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Watching site rankings with the keyword tracker has been quite an eyeopener. I track about 30 terms and last week my sites were coming and going on Yahoo. I had days where my main site would disappear from Google and then be back the next day. Some of it is datacenter variation.

I get the feeling there is more random variation than I realized.

davesplace1
09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm slowly getting more traffic from MSN. So far they have been good to me, still see a lot of jumping around in their SERPs. The other day I searched for Bird Crazy Mail because I could not remember it it was a .com or a .biz nowhere to be found on Google, how many sites have Bird Crazy Mail on them? It was number 1 on MSN so Google is going a little overboard on their fight against link spaming.

Cutter
09-29-2005, 09:27 PM
There has definately been a drop-off for me with MSN traffic this month. Honestly, I didn't expect it to last this long ;)

Todd W
09-29-2005, 09:53 PM
There has definately been a drop-off for me with MSN traffic this month. Honestly, I didn't expect it to last this long ;)

I noticed a traffic drop-off this week too, my rankings fell from #1 to #3 for a couple terms. They had been there for over 8 months so it was a shocker to see them start to drop :mad:

Kate
09-30-2005, 02:54 AM
My nowhere-near-finished punk site does awesome on MSN for some reason. But it does come and go. For example - for about 2 days it was on the first page for the term - punk bands, but now it is nowhere to be found.

jaybird691
10-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Go figure, after a week my site is back on MSN at #1. Had the most hits ever for uniques at the site today. Weird business this SEO stuff. Just happy to be back on the first page. Now if Google would do something with my sites it would be great. Even Yahoo sends traffic to both sites. Never see anything referred from Google.

Emancipator
10-04-2005, 06:14 PM
im still #3 out of 300million results for my term. So it may have changed but not by much. Last time I was #1

Todd W
10-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Going from position #1 to #4 dropped my earnings by $75 to $100 per-day. :eek:

However my google ranking is increasing! After 8 months of the same text links I am on page two.. lol

chromate
10-07-2005, 03:49 AM
wow - that's a steep drop in earnings for such a small drop in rankings! What ranking dropped?