PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Security Program for PDFs

exoticpublishing
09-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi there,

I've been using security programs for my PDF files so people can't open it unless they have a key or password & can't move it from one computer to another.

I do give them permissions to print, so that has to be an option.

The first program was very buggy & not user friendly. The second one I have to pay for per month & sometimes I have to generate the key twice in order for the customer to be able to open the file & for some reason I never get the keys.

So I thought, what if Open Source has something.

Does anyone know of anything that's really good & user friendly both for me & the customer?

Thanks & have a great day!

Michelle

shadowbox
05-02-2006, 03:04 PM
no such thing in my experience - anything you try to implement simply pisses off your genuine customers. And in the end, if someone wanted to distribute a pdf, they could just either copy an paste text into a text editor, or make screen shots of each page (and if they had lots of time on their hands, run these through a scanner to extract the text). If someone is determined, they'll find a way.

exoticpublishing
05-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Nothing is ever full proof or guaranteed.

That doesn't mean we should stop living life & not try.

I do use a program that prevents that & no, they can't copy & past the text.

If someone goes to the end of the earth to steal my e-book, then great, I'm talking about the majority of people.

Michelle

no such thing in my experience - anything you try to implement simply pisses off your genuine customers. And in the end, if someone wanted to distribute a pdf, they could just either copy an paste text into a text editor, or make screen shots of each page (and if they had lots of time on their hands, run these through a scanner to extract the text). If someone is determined, they'll find a way.

shadowbox
05-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Does your program stop then copying the file and emailing it to their friends? Does it stop them printing it out?

If it does, doesn't this simply infuriate your genuine customers who want to make paper copies or backups? In my experience, 99% of my customers are not interested in ripping me off, so I don't see the point in making life hard for them just because of the 1% bad apples. Much better to focus on the genuine customers and make their experience as good as possible (IMO). It's not about giving up on combating fraud, it's about being realistic over its impact on your business and not getting so blinkered that you seriously damage your credibility with paying customers.

exoticpublishing
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I understand your pov, but in my industry the chances of me getting ripped off are a lot higher than yours & my information is worth a lot more as it's a niche market.

Of course I allow them to print. They have to, but no, they can't transfer the files from computer to computer.

All the best

Michelle

Sagewing
05-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Does your solution require that the users 'install' the ebook onto their computer? I have found quite a few solutoins, but they usually require that, which I don't like.

agua
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Does your solution require that the users 'install' the ebook onto their computer? I have found quite a few solutoins, but they usually require that, which I don't like.Yeah - I hate that - it should be banned.

SarahSeecrets
07-22-2006, 05:41 AM
I may have a service that can address the problems raised here. It is a completely custom solution. For the moment, we can protect RTF's. PDF's will be next once we introduced a custom-viewer that can read generic as well as protected PDF's.

Clipboard copy-and-paste are disabled.

To prevent / minimise screen-capture or camera copies, we inserted individual visible watermarks.

For copy protection, we use hard-disk serial number validation.

For secure delivery, we use RSA 8192-bits.

General encryption - we use truiple encryption (AES, CAST & Twofish) and our own Seecrets Signature Free technology.

exoticpublishing
07-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Yes, most of these programs put a stamp or something similar on you IP address on your HD. It's the only way to track who has the download.

Sarah, when you get your software 100% up & going, let me know.

Michelle