PDA

View Full Version : Time Management

Todd W
09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
What do you guys do to manage your time and make sure you spend a good amount of time with friends, family and your sig. other?

I find myself super focused when I`m working on something that I really want to or feel strongly about, and work on it almost every hour I`m awake. I even eat some meals in front of the PC while I work. I take small little breaks to get away from the screen but sometimes I don't go anywhere or do anything for a week.

It seems time is money for some sites as the new ones get established they are almost burned into the memory of people and are remembered longer etc. so I want to get some sites up faster than others...

How do you decide to work or to go do something? Right now my schedule has been work, class, work. This is normaly 9am to 2:30-3am.

Cutter
09-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I have a text file for every month where I just write down what I need to do. I then prioritize everything. If its not done at the end of the month I decided if I still need/want to do it, if yes it goes in the new month's file.

I schedule a few things like eating with someone or playing tennis or golf; other than that I really don't pre-plan to do things with people. Example, last Friday night I ended up in a hottub; I didn't plan that ;)

One of the good things about this business is that you aren't obligated to be "working" at a specific time or place. Its not unusual for me to be working at 8 in the morning one day or midnight the next day.

AndyH
09-19-2005, 05:46 PM
I have the opposite problem, I don't work enough.

So I do work I set myself goals for the day. Maybe that will work for you, but instead of goals for work, "goals" for the day - see xxxxxx, go to the bank, have dinner with family etc.

The New Guy
09-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Wright has a time management seminar session that he recorded you can listen to it on his site: http://ensight.org/

Todd W
09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
I have the opposite problem, I don't work enough.

So I do work I set myself goals for the day. Maybe that will work for you, but instead of goals for work, "goals" for the day - see xxxxxx, go to the bank, have dinner with family etc.

I often have the same problem. Sometimes I go for a week or two with maybe only putting in 2 or 4 hours of work, and now other times my schedules so full I don't know wha to doo :(

Thnx for the advice and links guys.

thebillionaire
09-20-2005, 07:11 PM
What do you guys do to manage your time and make sure you spend a good amount of time with friends, family and your sig. other?

I find myself super focused when I`m working on something that I really want to or feel strongly about, and work on it almost every hour I`m awake. I even eat some meals in front of the PC while I work. I take small little breaks to get away from the screen but sometimes I don't go anywhere or do anything for a week.

It seems time is money for some sites as the new ones get established they are almost burned into the memory of people and are remembered longer etc. so I want to get some sites up faster than others...

How do you decide to work or to go do something? Right now my schedule has been work, class, work. This is normaly 9am to 2:30-3am.

I dont think u need any time management help, I get hardly 30mins on my site a day cause of stupid hw, especially with physics, hard as hell

James
09-21-2005, 07:47 AM
especially with physics, hard as hell
If you're in grade 10 or 11, just wait till 12. You'll love it. *gives devilish grin*

MarkB
09-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Jeremy at Ensight.org posted a powerpoint presentation on time management on his blog last week (he runs time management courses at Microsoft I believe). it was quite good :)

thebillionaire
09-22-2005, 07:31 PM
If you're in grade 10 or 11, just wait till 12. You'll love it. *gives devilish grin*

im in 11, teh ciruculam in canada is super messed up, cause physics is divided into 2 section one is motion the other, something else... not sure yet. So pretty we gotta learn all grade 11, 12 and what used to be 13 matterial in 11. Its so annoying and motion is the pain in the butt physics where its like "if a ball was rolling down a hill, at blah velocity with a uniform accel, pushin at a N,E angle of blah, for blah seconds, after blah seconds the hill slop changes to blah with bumps the size fo blah" See what i mean its crazy, as for grade 12 I think discreeet geometry is gonna be alot harder

Todd W
09-22-2005, 07:43 PM
12th grade was the easiest for me.
I got out earlier, had a couple computer classes and my english teacher gave out grades for 'good' students. Boy what I would give to be in 12th grade again with no responsibilties(well not many) and no bills. :D

James
09-22-2005, 08:03 PM
In grade 11 it should start with kinetics (aka motion, like you said), then go into talking about lenses, which is where the real fun begins, because it's so unpractical in comparison to kinetics.

And what you described above isn't that crazy. It's not as tough as the Force of Gravity between two objects: Fg = 6.67*10^-11 [the gravitational constant](m2-m1/d [from center])
which isn't terribly tough.

Kate
09-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Eek, physics. Lucky my hole of a school doesn't even offer it.

ogito
09-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Kate, are you in highschool? and don't have physics?

Kate
09-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Yep, I'm in high school. I actually do pretty pointless classes - comedy (as my English class), art, zoology (as my science class, it was that, forensic or chemistry), Japanese, math, PE, photography. My school doesn't offer IT classes either.

Cutter
09-24-2005, 06:04 PM
The stuff that counts when you are in school is what you do on your own time.

chromate
09-25-2005, 03:44 AM
Something that hasn't been discussed is outsourcing. If you've got some money to spare, outsourcing content creation etc can be very cost effective and free up more of your time to work on other important stuff - or to work on being lazy ;)

Cutter
09-25-2005, 08:19 AM
If you run a big website it can really be impossible to do all of the work on your on. I like the idea of working on your business rather than in it.

There are actually quite a few outsourcing companies specifically for webmasters now.

Here are two companies I've only heard good things about:
http://www.iwebmasters.com/
http://www.webmasterlabor.com/

iWebmasters does technical stuff and design, not sure about content content writing. Both of those companies are run by top-notch guys.