PDA

View Full Version : Google Makes Blog Search

Chris
09-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Google finds blog search

By Frank Barnako, MarketWatch
Last Update: 12:54 PM ET Sep 14, 2005
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Google Inc. on Wednesday began testing a search service for Web logs. "Blog Search will help our users explore the blogging universe more effectively, and perhaps inspire many to join the revolution themselves," the company said at www.google.com/blogsearch.

Google's (GOOG) database includes only stories posted on blogs by publishers who have alerted monitoring services. It does not include traditional news Web sites, weather or stock quotes. Blog searches can be saved and will be updated automatically when a pertinent item is received.

"The 800-pound gorilla just entered the blogosphere," said Charlene Li, principal analyst with Forrester Research (FORR). She added that Google's experience at understanding how to present search results with relevance (putting the most important entries higher up) will be "the secret sauce to Google's blog-search success."

Li suggests that other blog search services, like Technorati or Feedster, could be in for some tough times not just with Google in the game, but with expected offerings of blog search from major portals. "Their arrival will tighten the noose even more on smaller players," she wrote on her own blog

I gotta laugh at that analyst comment, like Google is only now paying attention to blogs. Guess she never heard of blogger.

James
09-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I would really laugh if her blog she was writing that on was a Blogger blog.

I think that Google's a bit late getting into this; other search engines were on the ball, and have had it for months and months.

Emancipator
09-15-2005, 11:41 AM
lol... i betcha it is james.

Cutter
09-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Do you think Forrester Research is going to be looking for any new Google analysts anytime soon?

Emancipator
09-15-2005, 01:43 PM
rofl... if i was a betting man I would say YES.