PDA

View Full Version : Website Redevelopment

AndyH
09-14-2005, 06:45 AM
Old design: http://www.hellbored.com/uploader/uploads/ss_hellb.jpg
New design: http://www.hellbored.com - yes nothing works ... yet ;) and yes all the contents on the home page is just for filling purposes.

I plan on having alot of "channels" and alot of contents. Movie reviews, game reviews, cheats, arcade, friends network and lots more. The site is as you could tell from that, aimed towards teens mostly.

While I have not seen it done before, it may have so I won't claim it as being a worlds first but members of the site will be able to earn money for submitting contents. $xx for movie reviews, $x for cheats for a game and so on. This should get alot of contents fast which is what I need.

But from old to new layouts, I feel it is alot nicer. Both visually and ease of navigation. Comments are ofcourse welcome. :)

paul
09-14-2005, 07:03 AM
I always avoid putting ads at the top of the home page because it seems like it would take visitors off site before they even looked at what you have to offer. So when I loaded your new page there are inks to your games and then google ads to free game sites.

On the other hand, I know nothing about the teen market/audience. I would be interested in hearing the pros/cons of this kind of ad placement.

AndyH
09-14-2005, 07:06 AM
So when I loaded your new page there are inks to your games and then google ads to free game sites.I don't understand that? Elaborate if you could?

Edit: Oh I get it now. Well I hope to run Fastclick etc. ads there with Adsense placed on a lower tier.

Chris
09-14-2005, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't really put adsense there either. Adsense IMO works best with the border removed and blended in more. A large green adlinks unit next to your other green units might be a decent idea.

Blue Cat Buxton
09-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Nice looking layout - I dont personally like the green (particularly with the blue and yellow boxes)

What screen size is it designed for? (it doesnt fit in my high powere 600 x 480 15 inch monitor at work :rolleyes:

michael_gersitz
09-14-2005, 08:19 AM
Are you losing money by not having the site up? Perhaps you shouldve left the old layout up, and showed us a picture of the new layout?

Westech
09-14-2005, 08:31 AM
I like it a lot. It's clean and simple, and does a good job of showcasing the different areas of the site to draw visitors in to the area that interests them.

The only thing that bugs me about it is that in FireFox the bottom border of the "New Videos" box drops down below the bottom border of the "Arcade Stuff" box. In IE they line up perfectly.

Other than that one small thing, I think it looks great!

ogito
09-14-2005, 08:47 AM
I like the new design, but why don't leave the old design until the new is ready?

AndyH
09-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Adsense is basically a placeholder for now. My hope is to get into some good networks which I couldn't in the past with my current websites. But more so, my real hope is to sell ads directly in the more distant future.

1024 x 768

Nah i'm not losing money ... a couple of dollars a day? :P

I actually test in FireFox so yeah I noticed that box being a bit longer. I'll investigate that.

Because I don't have a test environment for this site and having it like this will make me keep working on it.

Thanks for your feeback. :)

jonnyhilfiger
09-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Looks nice, definately keep going.

John

Mike
09-15-2005, 10:22 AM
I like it Andy, and I'm looking forward to reading that article on web games if you decide to write it :)

Emancipator
09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
I have tons of content and might be intersted in working something out in exchange for some link backs.. just drop me a line via email if your interested.