PDA

View Full Version : creating a network of sites

eMEraLdwPn
09-13-2005, 11:25 PM
i'm thinking about making websites for 6 or 7 shows that all air on the same television network, then creating some sort of hub page that links to all of them. the sites for the shows will essentially contain the same layout and type of information. how would you go about doing something like this? register domains for each separate show, or just get a general domain and then use a subdomain for each show? is one way better than the other for seo?

MarkB
09-14-2005, 05:05 AM
I would get a domain for each one, only because it would be easier to remember.

Emancipator
09-14-2005, 06:18 AM
im with mark.. domains for each.

ozgression
09-14-2005, 04:20 PM
What happens if/when the shows end/get canceled? Also, what about trademark issues?

Personally, I would go for one domain.

thebillionaire
09-14-2005, 06:19 PM
multiple domains is alot better, its gonna be a fan site so it wont make a big difference

eMEraLdwPn
09-14-2005, 07:03 PM
yeah, one of the major reasons i was unsure of buying all those domains is a lot of these shows are brand new, and it's doubtful that all of them will be renewed... does it give some sort of seo benefit to have separate domains, or just easier for people to remember?

James
09-14-2005, 07:42 PM
They'll not include extra words like the hub's name, which can help with your density.

snowstar
09-20-2005, 01:43 AM
but if you use one general domain,
you could get a higher Alexa traffic Ranking~

James
09-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Oh gosh, a higher Alexa traffic ranking!
That counts for--oh wait, it counts for nothing in my books, cause Alexa sucks :P;)

chromate
09-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Personally, I would go with a single domain. I think it would be better for the long term and these days, I think that's EXTREMELY important.

Consider that it could take 8 months or so before each new site claws its way out of the sandbox. TV shows are likely to have ended before this time is up. So all the time people are searching for the show your site is no where to be seen, and as soon as the show ends, your site pops up thinking "where're all my visitors?" :)

If you have a single site, you can add a new show category to it and within days, all being well, you'll getting traffic.

I would definitely go with the single domain ;)

LuckyShima
09-20-2005, 04:24 PM
It depends on the particular case which way to go. In this particular case of tv shows I can't see the value in multiple domains. It would be a waste of money and time. Setting up a single domain about something like 'tv fans' with subdomains for each show has unlimited potential for expansion. Separate domains have no potential for expansion.

Also, you should think about setting this up quickly by just copying the material from wikipedia and adding a few sentences to make it unique. That way your site will be out there and you can add more content later.

petriati
09-26-2005, 10:23 AM
I would use a single domain. From the marketing perspective you want to promote the site that can take you to any of your shows. Plus on the main page that takes you to each of the show you can ad different services to keep your visitors coming back for more. :D

Let me know if you need some sort of marketing analysis done.