PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using SEDO?

aj8
09-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi,

I expect most of us on here have a collection of either 'never going to be used' domains or 'waiting for a website' domains. I probably have around 100 sitting around from old projects or whatever. Some good, some rubbish and will be dropped at the next renewal.

Had a look at SEDO, who do advert loaded parking for these names, and pay out a percentage of clickthrus. Does anybody else use them? Their system seems very slick indeed, and although the payouts are probably quite small, it doesn't really take any effort to setup.

Anybody making revenue from their domains thru Sedo?

A

Cutter
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm not parking any domains right now, but I know plenty of people out there are. For many domain investors if they make back the registration fee they'll keep the domain. If the domains are "type-in" domains then definately park them.

aj8
09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Hmmm. No, none are type-ins I don't think... :<

www.resultsday.com, www.resultsday.co.uk, www.leavers.co.uk, www.leavers.org.uk, www.surelease.com, www.surelease.co.uk, www.its-your-call.co.uk, www.revisionmaster.co.uk ... all fairly non-typeable ... But I'm going to move a load more mover.

Question : Does having parking pages with ads potentially damage PR if I ever decide to unpark (and develop) any of these URLS? I.e. by having them covered in ads and parked now, will it hurt my site later somehow?

r2d2
09-12-2005, 04:45 PM
It won't hurt PR, because that is just based on incoming links.

I wouldn't like to speculate on whether it would harm you SE positions though - I'm sure someone else will have a more informed opinion.

Cutter
09-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Park those domains, the market is on fire right now.

Take a look here for the top 30 sales 2 weeks ago:
http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Dominio.com for $120k all the way down to csula.com for $2k

aj8
09-13-2005, 02:13 AM
That's crayzeee..

:) Hope someone buys some of my spares then <g>!!!

None of mine are anywhere near that much...

Perhaps I will put all the rest of mine up in that case. Even if I only liberate a few hundred dollars a piece it will more than pay for the time putting them up... Also any domain I sell is one I don't have to renew next year :o)

Very interesting link : thanks.

A.

chromate
09-13-2005, 05:36 AM
I always wondered how much dating-services.net would go for these days. Not that I'm planning to sell really. Unless it was huge amounts, which I doubt it is :)

Masetek
09-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Park those domains, the market is on fire right now.

Take a look here for the top 30 sales 2 weeks ago:
http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm

Dominio.com for $120k all the way down to csula.com for $2k

Interesting site that one, thanks cutter :D

into the bookmarks that goes!

aj8
09-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Well that's quite bizarre. Like 2 days after they got put up on SEDO parking, I have had 28 unique views on surelease.com [considering it's doing nothing] and already had someone email me asking for a price for it!!!

It's not a bad domain... but ?!!?

Alex.

aj8
09-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Quick warning : The guy making the offer was some type of scammer from Russia using the name "Cheney" and the email address <dcheney@phreaker.net>. I realised this when I asked him what country he was from and got told "New Zealand". His IP told a different story.

I only mention this so that if anybody else sees him you know to ignore his messages.

Cutter
09-15-2005, 09:08 AM
You may want to submit your domain names here to get some more coverage: http://www.domainsnewsletter.com/

aj8
09-16-2005, 04:36 AM
cutter - is that your site?

Great idea anyway - thanks, and I've submitted them...

Cutter
09-16-2005, 07:00 AM
No its not mine, but I know the guy who runs it.

vegasbabyx
09-21-2005, 02:45 PM
I just got an email from him too. Thanks for the heads up! He was wanting me to get an appraisal and all sorts of crap. No telling what was up his sleeve. I called him out on his scamming. And come on naming yourself "Dick Cheney" with TRS Engineering...give me a break...at least come up with something a little less...hmmmm stupid!

Kyle
09-21-2005, 04:45 PM
I always wondered how much dating-services.net would go for these days. Not that I'm planning to sell really. Unless it was huge amounts, which I doubt it is :)

Probably not that much. The market is crazy for .com's, and hyphenated names are harder to sell.

The .net's are slowly building up steam. In time they should be worth more and more (just not as much as .com's obviously). I have Snowboards.net and Paintballguns.net. Haven't had any good offers, yet.

chromate
09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Shame really. If the offer was right, I might consider selling that site.

According to Yahoo it has over 72,000 backlinks, but I've always struggled with it in Google. It's on page 4 at the moment. I can't see why it's not doing better than that, looking at the sites ranking above me. I can only think I've "over optimized" (ridiculous phrase!) by getting all the backlinks as "dating services". I'm going to vary it a bit and see if that makes any difference.

Kyle
09-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Over optimization is a total myth from the Florida update (long ago). I wouldn't advise.

How is your traffic from MSN on that? DNForum.com is a decent place to sell developed sites. (I didn't realize it was a developed site when I first posted)

chromate
09-22-2005, 03:39 AM
Terrible. Sends about 40 to 50 uniques a day.

I wouldn't call over optimization a myth, because it hasn't been disproven. I'm not ruling it out, because these days as far as SEO goes, I'm just trying to make everything look as "natural" as possible. I think that's best for a sites longevity. 72,000 backlinks using exactly the same anchor text and description isn't natural.

I dunno. I'm gonna redesign the site. Add a ton of new content and see how it goes.