PDA

View Full Version : Help on developing a travel site

brightnine
09-12-2005, 01:29 AM
I am planning to develop a travel related website for the United Kingdom. It will be somewhat like a travel guide to the UK with some articles and all. This is my first project. I want to know if travel related sites generate revenue with google Adsense? After launching the site how soon can I expect some revenue. Say that I have 10,000 unique visitors per month, will this be enough to generate revenue with a travel related site. If so how much can I expect from ad sense. All your inputs and advice will be highly appreciated.
Also I just want to know the future of this business. If I get 50,000 unique visitors on a travel website with content. Will that generate good money with google?

Chris
09-12-2005, 05:48 AM
travel sites generally make good revenue.

Cutter
09-12-2005, 07:20 AM
I don't know what kind of CPM you'll be getting as I've never run a travel site. Assuming you can do at least $20 you should do fine.

michael_gersitz
09-12-2005, 08:32 AM
travel sites are high up there with gambling and adult.

Mike Hunt
09-12-2005, 11:41 AM
travel sites generally make good revenue.
Hi Chris,

Do you speak from experience? The competition amongst travel sites seems pretty intense and as a result must be pretty difficult to get traffic.

chrispian
09-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I have a pretty simple travel book site using AWS and it's made a decent amount of money for me as well as some good clicks on adsense ads. I'm not going to get rich off of it but it adds to the overall monthly bottom line with very little effort. I imagine that if you put some work into it in the form of original content you could do fairly well.

Chris
09-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I've got one somewhat travel related site that makes a good CPM.

Travel is good for a few reasons.

1. More travel is purchased online than almost any other major industry. The industry was one of the first to move online, and now its almost all online. Some airlines even charge you more if you don't book online.

2. Travel is fairly expensive, so people are willing to spend a decent amount to acquire customers.

I think the best travel sites to make are those that are very focused on a certain niche. Either by topic or most likely by geographic region. I even think the UK is too large of a region, I'd either limit it even further by geography, like London only (or Wales or Scotland, etc) Or topically such as old castles/churches, historic battlefields, grail sites (actually with the davinci code popularity that might be a good idea), etc.