PDA

View Full Version : High bandwidth server providers

Westech
09-08-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm currently shopping around for a high-bandwidth server solution. I need a reliable provider who can give me a 25mpbs - 50 mpbs unmetered connection for a reasonable price.

Who do those of you with extremely high bandwidth sites use? Do you colocate or rent a server?

I've been shopping around quite a bit and know what's out there, so I'm more interested in hearing comments about different providers from people who actually use or have used an unmetered server from one of these providers rather than, "I heard that XXXXX offers this."

Chris
09-08-2005, 09:40 AM
I have 5 ev1 servers, none of the unmetered ones though, but still I'm serving as much as 400,000 impressions a day on a single server without any slow down.

michael_gersitz
09-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Chris, he is serving games, which is alot more pressure on a server... I am with hivelocity now... 10mbps unmetered... $110 a month.. I think for 15 more mbps, it is like $40 - $50 more..

Todd W
09-08-2005, 11:21 AM
ServerMatrix has some 20mbits unmetered but they are more than $100.

I have 3 servers with ThePlanet/ServerMatrix and couldn't be happier.

Westech
09-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Chris, I've had a hosting server at EV1 for several years and have been very happy with them. Unfortunately they don't have the unmetered options that I need for this particular project. They seem to only offer either 10mbps (not enough) or 100mbps (too much) I have an email in to them about a custom order so we'll see what they come back with.

Michael, are you happy with the service and response times you get with hivelocity? I know you're capped at 10mbps, but have you heard anything about how well their network handles bursts up to 50mbps during peak times?

Todd, I've been looking closely at Servermatrix, and their prices are some of the best that I've found from a reputable company. The problem is their unmetered servers use Cogent-only bandwidth and I've seen some complaints of poor transfer speeds and unacceptable latency on their customer forums. If they could get these issues straightened out I'd certainly consider Servermatrix. As they are now, there's no way I'm going to pay $1000+ per month for a 50mpbs server that can only transfer 20-30mbps due to network congestion.

Todd W
09-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Chris, I've had a hosting server at EV1 for several years and have been very happy with them. Unfortunately they don't have the unmetered options that I need for this particular project. They seem to only offer either 10mbps (not enough) or 100mbps (too much) I have an email in to them about a custom order so we'll see what they come back with.

Michael, are you happy with the service and response times you get with hivelocity? I know you're capped at 10mbps, but have you heard anything about how well their network handles bursts up to 50mbps during peak times?

Todd, I've been looking closely at Servermatrix, and their prices are some of the best that I've found from a reputable company. The problem is their unmetered servers use Cogent-only bandwidth and I've seen some complaints of poor transfer speeds and unacceptable latency on their customer forums. If they could get these issues straightened out I'd certainly consider Servermatrix. As they are now, there's no way I'm going to pay $1000+ per month for a 50mpbs server that can only transfer 20-30mbps due to network congestion.

I understand I`d never get a cogent only server unless I was expanding a 'cheap' image hosting service. The servers at ThePLanet come with 2GB bandwdith and for MOST this is enough. I can understand where you need a LOT for your hosting, and if once you find some places please post up so I can check them out as well :)

-Todd

AndyH
09-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Shoot an email to custom@ev1servers.net.

They have been more than helpful with me. Currently I am only at ~4mbs at the swtich, but that is before I have moved all my websites over.

thebillionaire
09-08-2005, 07:05 PM

They have been more than helpful with me. Currently I am only at ~4mbs at the swtich, but that is before I have moved all my websites over.

4mbs with only hellbored.com?

Westech
09-08-2005, 07:27 PM

Already have. :) I'm awaiting their response.

AndyH
09-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Nah hellbored.com is nothing right now.

Emancipator
09-13-2005, 06:30 PM
great thread. I am going to start looking into unmetered myself..

michael_gersitz
09-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Unmetered means there is no limit on bandwidth usage per month. However, there is a limit on how much traffic and downloads you can handle. If you have a 10mbps limit, your server can only handle 10 megebytes per second. (I think)... If you are hosting alot of large files... it can slow the server up and might crash it. You also need to look at what type of machine your server is on. Xeon's are the best, I think.

Todd W
09-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Unmetered means there is no limit on bandwidth usage per month. However, there is a limit on how much traffic and downloads you can handle. If you have a 10mbps limit, your server can only handle 10 megebytes per second. (I think)... If you are hosting alot of large files... it can slow the server up and might crash it. You also need to look at what type of machine your server is on. Xeon's are the best, I think.

There's to many "I thinks" in there...

10mbps = 10megabits per second not 10 megabytes big difference.

There is no such thing as unlimited if you max out 10mbps 24/7 for a month that's your bandwidth limit.

Also just because you have 10mbps doesn't mean that's as fast as you can go it could simply be how they measure bandwidth... For instance you could get a 10mbit bandwidth limit that could burst to 100mbits.

File quantity doesn't matter it's how many files are being accessed/downlaoded at once is the problem. 100 files not being downloaded or rarely would be faster than 5 files that are downloaded 1000s of times per-day.

Emancipator
09-14-2005, 06:20 AM
lol... if the last 2 posts are directed at me, I didnt mean look into it as in 'find out what it means'.... :P

I am running into the same problem westech is.. insane bandwith.

michael_gersitz
09-14-2005, 08:03 AM
There's to many "I thinks" in there...

Just waiting for someone like you to clearify. I am no expert and do not want to give out wrong information.

shadow
10-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Try the VPS at webcs.com (http://www.webcs.com/help/dedicated.html)

Not sure if these specs help?

1.5Mbit Un-Metered
(equiv 480GB)
outbound
---
100Mbit Un-Metered inbound