PDA

View Full Version : Success Stories

Chris
09-06-2005, 09:33 AM
I want to build a success stories section of this site, and would like atleast 5 to start out with, but 3 or 4 would be enough. Obviously you can have signature links in your success story. So I'd like to ask some of you to post your success stories here and then when there is enough I'll turn them into articles for a new section on the site. I'll go first.

I first started publishing personal websites way back in 1993 while in highschool. They were a typical teenager's homepage type sites, with no commercial potential whatsoever. They did however introduce me to the technical aspects of publishing websites and that experience would be invaluable in my future endeavors.

In 1998 I made my first for-profit website. I knew absolutely nothing about publishing for profit, only that many people were earning $20 CPM from companies like Burst!Media for banner ads on their websites. My site was absolutely stupid, it was a midi jukebox site, and it was destined to fail from the beginning. I didn't know it at the time but I was trying to promote it through viral marketing. The goal was for people to put my code on their site to provide background music. I cannot believe I once encouraged background music on a site but in any case the site never earned more than a few bucks and eventually I just shut it down.

When I went to college I majored in genetics and was lucky enough to get a job at a genetic engineering lab on campus. The lab had a genetic database of a plant, Arabidopsis Thaliana, and needed that database put online. I got the amazing opportunity to perform real scientific research in exchange for building their website for them. I was also at the time doing web development for a few local companies. With the two jobs at the same time it was easy to decide which one I preferred, and obviously I chose web development. I would eventually drop out of college to pursue building my own business, a decision I do not regret.

In 1999 I made my second site, a site about Shakespeare called Everything Shakespeare. It did well, I remember when I first got 500 page views in a single day. However I soon reached a traffic ceiling, no matter what I did nothing seemed to help the site get more traffic. I soon came to the conclusion that to increase traffic I should make more sites. So I made a site about Homer's Odyssey. Ones on Charles Dickens, Moby Dick, The Aeneid, Jules Verne, and others soon followed. Each site had a similar navigation structure but a different design and they were not connected to each other.
Then in January of 2000 I relaunched the sites as sections of one site, The Literature Network I called it.

I continued working on this site and adding content. I thought that if I was receiving 10 or 100 page views per page of content then if I simply added more content I'd be getting 10 or 100 additional page views per page of content I added. The first month it launched it got 30,000 page views, then 60k, then 90k, then 120k, then the growth slowed down a little. All in all the site has pretty much doubled in traffic and ad revenue each year it has been open. This year I am expecting 15 million page views per month.

Still, this was in bubble-bursting time and ad rates were in the toilet. I was only earning a few hundred dollars a month from my site.

In May of 2001 I built my second site, Wilderness Survival, and it rapidly became very popular. I had cut my teeth so to speak on promoting my literature site and so with my survival site I managed to get to the top of the search engines in only a matter of months. In August of that year the site was mentioned in US News & World Report, traffic really took off and I also got some nice targetted campaigns from Burst!Media for the site. By that October I was earning $800 a month, 12 months later that number would have increased 10 fold.

In January of 2002 I got a targetted campaign from Burst for my Literature site, this instantly brought me up to $2,000 a month in revenue, and from that point on revenue steadily increased.

Towards the end of the summer of 2002 I had noticed that while I had many links to Amazon.com to "buy the book" from my literature site my Amazon affiliate revenue was relatively low. At that time Amazon frequenly offered $5 off coupons and other such deals and I thought that if my visitors knew about the coupons they'd be more apt to buy, so I made a coupon page on my literature site. It worked extremely well, mostly because I got to a #1 listing for "Amazon Coupon" in Google with that page. After seeing the revenue it brought it I was inspired to make a whole coupon site, and I did. I started small though, with only 4 main merchants, though I would eventually add nearly 50. That fall I was selected for a private program through one of the affiliate programs. This program basically meant my revenue was going to increase drastically. So that October I made in excess of $8,000, and it only grew from there. From October of 2002 through November of 2003 I was #1 on Google for every coupon related search I targetted. Then Google infamous "Florida" update occured and I lost most of my rankings. I'm still working on getting them back.

In the meantime I had made more content sites, and then in May of 2003 my first ecommerce site. When my coupon site failed my ecommerce site filled in the gap, grossing $130k in December of 2003.

I now have nearly 100 websites, most of which are fully automated, My income continues to grow each year. I've diversified enough that if a site does take a hit the growth of other sites makes up for it. I plan to launch another ecommerce site soon, and also two more content sites, and then I plan to focus on only improving my current sites, rather than making more.

piniyini
09-08-2005, 04:44 AM
Interesting indeedy. Could be a little more inspiring if you included your age along the time line, eg at 26 now I was earning $XXX

Well done though

MarkB
09-08-2005, 05:17 AM
I believe Chris is in his mid-to-late 20s now, but I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong :)

It's a great story, and definitely shows it takes hard work and shrewd thinking.

Chris, if you don't mind me asking, what growth did you see from Dec 2003 to Dec 2004?

Chris
09-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Mostly ad network growth, also my ecommerce site was launched in may 2003 and didn't get good rankings until late september so 2004 ecommerce revenue was about 3x higher than 2003, but that wasn't growth, rather it was just the result of the site being operating with good rankings for 12 months instead of 4.

thebillionaire
09-09-2005, 04:10 PM
how old are you chris? because I agree with piniyini age's would enrich your article furthermore

michael_gersitz
09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Chris, I do not know how much response you will get to this topic. I do not know how many 'successful' website publishers there are in here. 'successful' is a hard word to use, since what do you qualify as successful? I make about $1400 per month, and I do not think that I am successful. Even if I made double, my view wouldn't change...

Chris
09-09-2005, 06:21 PM
The amount doesn't matter as much, I do think though that you'd need to be a fully engaged website publisher (meaning, this isn't a weekend hobby, this is your main source of income and what you consider to be your job).

In anycase there are quite a few people who fit that bill I know, it just depends on if they're shy or not.

The New Guy
09-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Someone in a sitepoint thread said he was 36 :p

Chris
09-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Someone said I was 36?

thebillionaire
09-09-2005, 07:59 PM
you're 36?

The New Guy
09-09-2005, 08:20 PM
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1740466&postcount=21

Doug
09-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Well, if we do some math, you will notice that he said he was in highschool in 1993. This means that he was no older than 18 or maybe 19 twelve years ago since I am assuming he wasn't held back 4 years or anything like that. So, 18+12=30, my guess is he is around 30 maybe even less since most people start high school when they are 15 or so. My guess is MarkB is right, and everybody is putting too much thought into Chris' age. Oh and to stay on topic, I would like a success stories section, I get a lot of encouragement from reading success stories.

Kate
09-10-2005, 04:43 AM
5 figures a month and not even 18? Not bad at all. I am 14 now, guess it's time to start playing AlienAA ;).

James
09-10-2005, 05:00 AM
And Kate: good age to be.

My story's that of a poor freeloader that's too damn lazy to learn PHP or do much of anything to cause some good profit; so, since it's not quite a success story, I don't think I'll say it. But hey: if I do break into earning some good money, I'll definitely write in with my story, Chris.

MarkB
09-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Andy, is that US or AU$? If it's US, you must be laughing! :) (Although the exchange rate isn't as good as it once was, is it?)

Chris
09-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Andy is younger than I thought...... so, Andy, what do your parents think about this?

AndyH
09-10-2005, 06:51 AM
I guess they think it is great. Dad has helped me quite alot with getting the business setup as he owned a store for years.

US, but all the numbers are "around about".

Masetek
09-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Andy and Chris - both excellent success stories. Gives me motivation that's for sure! I too was very surprised to hear you're so young Andy! I wish I got started at that age!

:D

thebillionaire
09-10-2005, 10:30 AM
do you really need a loan for a house, just flash ur cash dude.

Realstate agent: "the house will be costing 500k, I recomend you get a mortage"
AndyH "No need dude, ill pay cash, and oh yea, here an extra 10 grand, enjoy" :)

AndH congrad's you on top for my jealousy list, by the way how did u get into collage, before 18? usually most people enter collage/uni at 17-18.

P.S I saw ur games on rpg directories like a year ago but I never thought it would be that sucessful.

eMEraLdwPn
09-10-2005, 12:15 PM
wow, i've made two turn-based strategy games that flopped and considered doing an rpg but figured it would just be a waste of time... i think i need to reconsider :p

Chris
09-10-2005, 12:59 PM
I considered making one too back when I used to play Utopia. Just seemed like too much work.

John
09-10-2005, 02:03 PM
I was thinking about doing one but my coding skills are somewhat lacking, I was trying to find a free generic game I could modify but I didn't have any luck.

Doug
09-10-2005, 02:19 PM
runescape is one of the most successful rpg's that I've ever seen. I haven't played in a couple years but I was with it when their servers only allowed a max of 5,000 people playing at once. Now their member version has several hundred thousand members paying $5 a month and they have something like 40 or 50 servers, they had 4 when I started playing.

thebillionaire
09-10-2005, 04:13 PM
yea too much work, some flop like eMEraLdwPn (2 of them, :) ) and some don't, I finally put a book on hold in the library to borrow, php. I was planning to learn it for like a year ago, I finally took action thanks to Andy

AndyH
09-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Making your second or third text based game is ALOT easier than the first. For the first two years there were so many times alot of people would have given up.

As for Runescape, yeah that game has really grown since a year + ago.

Speaking of Utopia, I am currently working on my own game like that. I say like because they are both kingdom management games. Different in nearly all ways besides that. www.uwars.com if you wanted to have a look around. "Ticks" arn't running yet and battle isn't completed so there isn't much you can do. Already has a few thousand members which isn't bad for early beta testing. :)

Chris
09-10-2005, 05:45 PM
What made me give up on utopia was the out of game manipulation.

It was somewhat fun though, like ancient rome. I got kingship a couple times through civil wars. But I ran a really good kingdom, I told everyone what to do, and gave them all good feedback (ran a little awards chart) we'd always start out great and powerful. But the all the people with friends/multi accounts, would kick in and it'd suck. One age we did end up best on our island and I was the best undead in the world for a few weeks. Still, if it wasn't for all the cheating, I would probably still play it. I really enjoy strategy games.

Westech
09-10-2005, 05:54 PM
I really enjoy strategy games.

Like website publishing? ;)

eMEraLdwPn
09-10-2005, 06:11 PM
andy, any tips for getting people to sign up? oh yeah, my most recent game is tick-based instead of turn-based... it's kind of like utopia, but more like civilization or risk

AndyH
09-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Spend a few hundred straight up on advertising.

www.mpogd.com
www.topwebgames.com
www.apexwebgaming.com

Run news, press releases, special offers, ads on them.

Cross promote if possible.

Oh and setup a reward based "tell a friend" system. If friends play then they will be more willing to learn, and if they were told about the game from someone they can ask them for help.

Make the game new player friendly. That is currently what I am working on as alot of people will just be overwhelmed and give up.

thebillionaire
09-11-2005, 12:22 PM
do you actually have people donating for the extra gameplay benifits? plus I noticed that you have little banner ads, and I dont think you have any popups/popunders, so does this suggest that most of you money comes from cj through your users completing specail offers

polspoel
09-11-2005, 01:30 PM
what kind of server are you running on universe wars? it's really, really fast! 0.005 seconds..

Cutter
09-11-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm a big fan of turn-based strategy games but I've never been into any web-based games. I love civ2, civ3, along with a bunch of tactical wargames like Steel Panthers and Combat Mission.

AndyH
09-11-2005, 06:39 PM
In recent times alot more have been "donating"/paying to get gameplay benifits. I rather make most from that as I see it as a safer, more solid money stream than CPA offers.

Dual Xeon - it is only fast because not many are online at the same time. Once opened it will be moved to the database/frontend clusters so it can scale. I havn't worked on it for a few months but I am really egar to get it released now.

Todd W
09-11-2005, 08:13 PM
In recent times alot more have been "donating"/paying to get gameplay benifits. I rather make most from that as I see it as a safer, more solid money stream than CPA offers.

Dual Xeon - it is only fast because not many are online at the same time. Once opened it will be moved to the database/frontend clusters so it can scale. I havn't worked on it for a few months but I am really egar to get it released now.

Congratulations on your website(s), and as Chris said I too thought you were a lot older. Your posts are always very informative and mature. Great job!

-Todd

eMEraLdwPn
09-11-2005, 08:17 PM
would you say that a text-based rpg is almost guaranteed to be profitable, despite the fact that there are already so many out there? i've had this idea for an rpg game for several years, but after wasting so much time already on making turn-based games, i'm a bit worried about spending more time on game development...

AndyH
09-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Thanks Todd. I actually don't participate as much as I would like to because alot of questions are about your normal content websites which I havn't really done much with ... yet ;).

eMEraLdwPn - Definatly not guaranteed. You are going to have to find an audience which can use a credit card which is difficult on its own as most players will be 18<. Getting players at the start is hard. Stopping cheaters / bug abusers (do weekly or even daily backups so you can rollback if need be).

Oh and all at the same time, you need a fun game which will need new things being brought out atleast monthly as a worst case so it doesn't go stale and keeps people interested.

With that said, you should give it a go. A few tips that you can use if you like:
- Keep it simple at the games "core" but then have more complicated things
- If it is turn based, have turns updated every hour, half hour, 15 min - keep people comming back and not getting bored.
- Like I said, do backups
- If your game gets quite large people will make automated programs to run all day - implement some kind of enter-the-number-in-the-image protection
- If players can transfer game money between each other than "mulies" (players who signup for new accounts and send money to their main account) will occur. Log money

There is more random things I can add. I am actually planning on writing a guide for HellBored.com once I redevelop it. :)

Blue Cat Buxton
09-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Slightly off topic but I was reading at the weekend about someone who paid $26,000 (real money) to own an online island in one RPG, I forget which - and of the growing ebay market for game money

Cutter
09-12-2005, 07:21 AM
was it SecondLife? I heard that story too, can't remember if that was it.

Chris
09-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Everquest has an economy thats bigger than many countries, or so I've read.

michael_gersitz
09-12-2005, 08:12 AM
I think this thread is somewhat straying from the original topic... Perhaps someone else can submit there success story. For some reason, I have noticed that most of the founding users in this forum are all successful online publishers now... I have been a member for over 2 years (08-22-2003), as has Mike and Sean. MarkB is not on the list but should be up there in revenue since selling his huge music forum. I am well under Mike and Sean with my crappy $15,000 per year. But I hope with my new ideals, that will increase to about $50,000 (4k per month) by December. Read this forum everyday, and you will have a success story to write one day.

Cutter
09-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I've been here about a year & in that time I've gone from making a few pennies today to making over $1000 a month. If I hadn't been distracted by my other projects I'm sure it would be at least double that by now. I'm trying to position myself right now to make a lot more than even a successful content site or two could bring.

eMEraLdwPn
09-12-2005, 06:54 PM
i'm the same as cutter, except instead of having other projects i'm just very lazy :p
no wait, i've been here almost 2 years apparently... time really does fly i guess. i'm closer to $2k now than $1k though.

M@rc
06-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Success Stories section; great idea.

It definately gives a sense of "I can do that too" :)

Cutter
06-23-2006, 09:16 AM
You can scratch out the $1,000 from my September post and put a question mark, a very nice question mark ;)

Chris
06-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I still want to do a section of the site like this, I just need more stories to post. Its free promotion people.

deronsizemore
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Please see this thread: http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5645

Feel free to use it as you wish Chris. :)

MaxS
06-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Wow, Andy... :eek:

Are your text based games custom developed?

AndyH
06-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah :)

AshS
03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
One word Andy, WOW.

I'd wish i could do the same with my game(soon to be more)

Edd
10-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Ok so its still a work in progress, but my site is actually coming along very nicely. Its an online RPG called BuskerWars (http://buskerwars.com)

It all started about 7 months ago now, when I used to play a very poorly made RPG game which was run by some idiot, yet somehow it was still making considerably large ammounts of money. Of course being a business entrepreneur I seized the oppertunity to get into the market, and began development with a friend of mine who had also played this poorly made game.

The first beta version was released after a month or so of casual coding, all done in the evenings by myself and my friend, who admitably knows more php than I do. This beta was hosted on a free hosting site, but still proved extraordinarily popular, so we decided to move to a proper server.

Continual development of the game is still going on, but what we have so far is extremely good. Despite numerous attacks on our servers we have been persistent in keeping the game running, and have developed what we feel really will become the best free online game! :)

jasonk1234
11-03-2007, 12:28 PM
hey ed, interesting game you have there. No bull I had a similiar game I've been developing for a while nice work though