PDA

View Full Version : www.pretty-in-punk.com

Kate
08-26-2005, 07:27 PM
It's my site I am making for a school assigment. I understand the layout is ugly and slow loading, any ideas on what could make it nicer and more convinient? All thoughts/criticism/comments appreciated. Thank you.

Chris
08-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Its not that bad -- although repeating the title twice graphically is a little redundant.

Also... do you really hope to earn with adsense off of it? If you're serious about that make the ads blend into the colorscheme a little more.

Kate
08-26-2005, 09:25 PM
I will get rid of the banner titles. I am actually not sure why I put them there in the first place. I do hope to earn a little bit of adsense, but not profit, just enough to pay for the websever or even half. I will change the ads colour scheme, I forgot to do that after I changed the layout from a blue one I had there previously.

Thanks for the reply/tips.

James
08-26-2005, 10:48 PM
These are just suggestions, you don't have to listen to them, or even consider them if you don't feel like it.

I'd say that you should make the pink content background color fill the entire area it's in (currently there's a 3px [guess] left margin and an 8-10px top margin), and remove the border except for on the right, which could be 2 or 3 px wide.

I think it'd look good if you just put in a bg image that had the black column, the pink content column, and the Google ad's background in their respective spots, to make it look like they stretch down the entire page.

Make the non-image left navigation links light pink, or white.

See what it looks like with the left nav images not being slanted, and having a grunge look--it may fit with the logo's appearence a bit better.

The header looks a bit large, you may want to try cutting down the size. Also, it appears to be cut off by the top of the navigation: I'd suggest changing it to make the transition a bit smoother.

It would be a good idea to put all of the CSS in an external stylesheet, and simply use classes and IDs. Also, you shouldn't use any <font> tags, or use <body>'s bgcolor attribute. This can be easily done through CSS>

Kate
08-27-2005, 02:22 AM
James - I used some of your suggestions and here (http://www.pretty-in-punk.com) is what I came up with. What do you think? Improvement? I think it made it look better. Thanks.

Doug
08-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I like the looks of it. The name caught my eye right away, it's creative. I just have one question, where's Greenday? Im just kidding about that by the way, I know you are still working on it.

James
08-27-2005, 11:53 PM
I believe that makes it look nicer, yeah. And I agree that the name is very creative and catchy.

The backwards letters make it a bit hard to read the navigation.

Kate
09-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Here is a new layout I have been working. It is completely different to the old one. What do you think of it so far? (http://pretty-in-punk.com/Layout%203/index.htm)

James
09-18-2005, 02:26 AM
It looks very nice. A step up in my books.

Though might I suggest getting rid of those trolls--er.. tables.

I also think it'd be cool if you gave the nav links a black background and increased their size.

You should also start using external stylesheets in your websites.

Kate
09-18-2005, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

- Not really sure what the alternative to tables is?

- Good idea, I will do this now.

- Will do this too, just have been lazy :).

James
09-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Alternative to tables = <div>s.

And external stylesheets are WAY easier to manage; they save soooo much time in the end.

moonshield
09-18-2005, 03:30 PM
I agree with James, I have switched and won't look back.

CreationNation
03-06-2006, 03:47 PM
FYI admins this site is no longer visible, delete thread?