PDA

View Full Version : Seeking E-book on Starting an Affiliate Program

exoticpublishing
08-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi there,

I'm trying to find an e-book on how to start an affiliate program, or pointers etc.

My marketing apprentice says that the only thing out there is information on how to become an affiliate, not how a company should start, run & really use the affiliate program to their benefit.

I have already started one & know I have to send off tips & such to the affiliates, but I need way more info.

Thanks & take care

Michelle

Cutter
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Your best choice is to find a company that already handles affiliate programs (such as commision junction, but I hear they are expensive.) Running an affiliate program requires more than just a general knowledge, there are applications you need to run the program.

ozgression
08-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah, perhaps someone like www.shareasale.com may be best for your situation.

exoticpublishing
08-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys, but I don't need the software, as I've already launched & have it.

I need the methods behind running & growing it.

Take care

Michelle

Cutter
08-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Then you just need to find good affiliates -- which will probably be harder than selling your product ;)

Your best solution right now is making direct contacts with other affiliate program owners. You can do this through e-mail or attending tradeshows (which is probably your best choice by far.)

exoticpublishing
08-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Why would anyone running their own program want to give me access to their affiliates. That makes no sense to me.

Michelle

ozgression
08-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Two things you can do:

1) Approach sites that you feel would do well promoting your product and ask them to try out your affiliate program (be careful not to mass spam).

2) Mention your affiliate program to affiliate communities (such as abestweb.com) and submit it to affiliate program directories (again, no spamming :)).

exoticpublishing
08-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks for that OZ

I heard a while back that submitting one's aff. program to aff. directories is a waste of time. There are soooo many, for the average affiliate to weed thru them is daunting.

Take care

Michelle

Cutter
08-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Why would anyone running their own program want to give me access to their affiliates. That makes no sense to me.

Michelle

Thats not what I meant -- although if you are selling a complimentary product then this would make alot of sense (for example, opt-in mailing owners often use co-registration to grow their lists.)

Have you ever been to any tradeshow before? Just go, and you'll figure out what I'm talking about here.

exoticpublishing
08-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks Cutter,

I prefer to know what you are talking about b4 hiking over to a trade show.

I don't generally frequent trade shows b/c mine would have to be the adult show & it doesn't come to Toronto YET LOL

Thanks & have a good day!

Michelle

Cutter
08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
You are running an adult site affiliate program, correct? I might actually be able to give you some pointers in that case.