PDA

View Full Version : Google Adsense Sections

Chris
08-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Just saw this when logging on:

What is section targeting and how do I implement it?
Section targeting allows you to suggest sections of your text and HTML content that you'd like us to emphasize or downplay when matching ads to your site's content. By providing us with your suggestions, you can assist us in improving your ad targeting. We recommend that only those familiar with HTML attempt to implement section targeting.

To implement section targeting, you'll need to add a set of special HTML comment tags to your code. These tags will mark the beginning and end of whichever section(s) you'd like to emphasize or de-emphasize for ad targeting.

The HTML tags to emphasize a page section take the following format:

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

You can also designate sections you'd like to have ignored by adding a (weight=ignore) to the starting tag:

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->

With these tags added to your HTML code, your final code may look like the following:

<html><head><title>Section targeting</title></head>
<body>
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

This is the text of your web page. Most of your content resides here.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
</body>
</html>

You can use section targeting to make suggestions about as many sections of a page as you like. However, please be aware that we can't guarantee results, and that it may take up to 2 weeks before our crawlers take into account any changes you've made to your site.

Please also note that in order to properly implement this feature, you'll need to include a significant amount of content within the section targeting tags. Including insufficient content may result in less relevant ads or PSAs.

lz83ny
08-22-2005, 05:18 PM
I noticed that too, haven't implemented it yet though. I think this is a great new feature.

pas
08-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Interesting. I might try it if I find some pages where the ads don't match too well.

Doug
08-22-2005, 11:51 PM
This is perfect for my Strange Facts site, I was hoping they would do something like this.

James
08-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Very cool. I like this idea very much.

But for some reason my brain's thinking that you could put excess ads in the ignored sections of codes, but then is over-riden by the logic that Google's got super-geniuses working for them.

Chris
08-23-2005, 08:25 AM
I think this would be good for forums, I too often see adsense ads pick up on the header type stuff rather than the thread.

Putting this around the first post in a thread could work well.

ozgression
08-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Hmmm... another interesting addition to Adsense.

Doug
08-24-2005, 12:01 AM
I would bet they are going to roll out with a few new additions like this as they are going to face competition by yahoo. The war begins, good news for publishers.