PDA

View Full Version : Finding duplicated site content

chromate
08-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Just found this tool http://www.copyscape.com/

Extremely useful for finding duplicated site content. I found a few people that had completely ripped some of my content. Sigh.

Chris
08-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Yup, pretty useful, time to send out some DMCA Complaints.

ozgression
08-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I take a look at it every now and then.

I find tons of free blogs that rip whole articles from my sites. :(

ozgression
08-20-2005, 04:35 AM
Has anyone ever tried this: http://www.phpfreaks.com/quickcode/Block_Leachers_From_Stealing_Your_Content/46.php

Chris
08-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Assuming my DMCA requests are followed I just ruined many days :)

What really irks me is a site trying to sell SEO services copying my stuff.

pas
08-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Assuming my DMCA requests are followed I just ruined many days :)

What really irks me is a site trying to sell SEO services copying my stuff.
What stuff of yours was copied?

Chris
08-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I only really checked articles from this site. Mostly SEO articles.

Cutter
08-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I've used this tool in the past.. but I'm running all my sites through tonight. Some of the copys are just scraper sites stealing Google search results..

I've found one site so far, and he's copied stuff from other people's sites too. The sad thing is this guy is in the United States. I'd expect someone in Eastern Europe or India to do this, but not someone I can actually sue (not to diss people in these countries, I have a great respect for them.)

I'm going to take a different approach to this.. first I'm going to investigate the people copying the content to see if they are worth anything. Next, they are going to be recieving a letter that says you owe me $XXX for using my content, you can pay me another $XXX yearly liscencing fee you can pay or I'll sue you.

One major adult site owner used a simular strategy where he told them he'd sue them or buy them out for pennies on the dollar. Basically overnight he got 90% of the internet traffic for his specific niche.

Will I sue anyone? Maybe if I find out they live in a million dollar house.. if its just an dumb kid, no ;)

Cutter
08-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Another small tip:

If the guy lives in the United States, grab his address off of the whois (if its hidden you should be able to force a reveal with the registrar.) Next go to Google Maps, look up the address, and see what the neighborhood looks like on satellite. This should give you an easy, free way to decide whether you should just DMCA it or try something else.

I spent a solid year working my *** off when I could have been making more at McDonalds. If someone wants to rip off my work then F them.

Cutter
08-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok, not how I expected to spend the night!

I'm still on site #1. Upon further research it appears that a SEO firm may have copied the content, I don't think the site owner had any idea whats going on. Lets just say I'm going to be putting a little time and money into this one..

Chris
08-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Without a registered copyright you'll find it hard to win any monetary judgement at trial -- however if you're just bluffing trying to get them to pay licensing then it doesn't really matter.

Cutter
08-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Interesting, I knew that your automaticly go copyright status upon publishing/creating a work, but did not fully understand how registration worked.

There is a lot of good information about this here: http://www.fplc.edu/tfield/copynet.htm

Basicly you can only sue for damages incurred if you don't register. However, if you register within 3 months of being published you can recieve damages of $150,000 or more.

The biggest problem us as web developers run into is when we are constantly updating a website -- basicly we have to pay $30 ever month.

Too bad I didn't register; the guy who appears to have copied my content lives in a house right on a golf course.