PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of Account Dilemma

jknock
08-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Advice,

New to the web industry and need all the advice i can get.

We designed a Full Flash Website for a certain company and maintained it for 6 months. They would like to transfer their website updates to another company. PROBLEM!! They are requesting the Flash Source File (.FLA), which contains the original design and action scripting that helps operate the website. Our Creative team does not want the code or design going to the hands of Competition. Help!! Need suggestions!!

Please respond immediately if any one has solutions

Thank you,

You can email me your suggestions at jdphijh@yahoo.com

Cutter
08-16-2005, 06:04 PM
What did your contract say?

Legally, as the producer you own the copyright.

chromate
08-16-2005, 06:05 PM
What were the terms you performed the work for this company under? I guess it comes down to whether they own, and have rights, to the source code or not.

Blue Cat Buxton
08-17-2005, 02:34 AM
I can understand both sides, that your developers do not want to release their code, but did the client understand that the website they were getting would be flash, and that without the source they could not update it or change it?

Cutter
08-17-2005, 08:43 AM
What was understood really isn't relevant. This is why contracts are critical whenever you are involved in anything very important.

Here is an example. A local radio station had a contest for a morning talk show host. Basically anyone could compete for a 2 year contract as the morning host, each contestant got one day to host. At the end the listeners voted for the winner. Some political site picked this up and sent all their readers to vote. Now the station is stuck with someone who no one is going to listen to.

Now, if you value the client's feedback & your reputation then you need to go by what is understood. It would have been even better if this was laid out, in writing, in the beginning.

Blue Cat Buxton
08-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Yes, my earlier point is only relevant in the absense of a contract