PDA

View Full Version : Life without computer ...

seeuthere
08-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Hi all,

couple of months ago I happened to find this great portal and since I've not stopped reading posts and articles on various subjects. Having good websites recommended by friends is good but feels great when you discover the goldmine yourself. Today I decided to join in and post a question which I've been thinking on more and more lately. The question is addressed to the reader who is spending a lot of time with his/her computer (I already know someone) working, browsing, chatting...you name it. Here goes:
If you had to change your life style how would you spend your time and how would you earn your bread without relying on a computer?
If you think is worth spending your time answering this "non-relevant" question or had thoughts about an alternative career would be nice to hear your thougths.
I will probably post this qustion on a sitepoint.com comunity (another goldmine of information) so if you happen to read it there, that will be me.

AndyH
08-15-2005, 06:22 AM
I would work a "normal" job until I could affored to start my own business and hopefully not go bankrupt.

I found I only ever had an interest in business. For me, working for someone else has never been appealing. With business there is no limit on how much you can make. I mean I already earn more than most lawyers, doctors etc. and they went to college for years to earn how much they do.

Although it may have just been a passion of theirs and money isn't really an issue.

seeuthere
08-15-2005, 07:40 AM
I suppose that would be the way to go. That is exactly what I am thinking. I feel that I am just too focused and relying to much on my computer skills. Most of the time I don't think about it but on ocasions I freak out at the thought that I became so unilateral. I would like to be able to drop everything and 'start from scratch' being 'forced' into developping other skills.
I think to have your skill Andy comes handy. You may be able to adapt in any environment just by 'seeing' the oportunity and then the rest is just leg work.
Actually the question I initally posted has come from a different thougth. Maybe I will post that in a new thread.

Pulse
08-15-2005, 08:07 AM
I found I only ever had an interest in business. For me, working for someone else has never been appealing.

Agreed. I can stand the thought of busting my *** for a company. When you're in business for yourself, you get back what you put in. In all the mainstream jobs Ive worked, you work like a mule and get little reward.

So in answer to your question, Id definately be doing something where I was the boss...dont know what, selling coconuts on the beach in the Caribbean maybe?!

:)

Cutter
08-15-2005, 08:10 AM
I would pack my bags and head to China. There is a lot of oppurtunity for growth there, even for Americans. I've actually researched a few big potential niches there which I know a little bit about ;)

James
08-15-2005, 07:28 PM
I'd spend all my time reading books and playing the guitar, maybe some video games aswell. Probably take some time to learn to draw well.
Probably also switch from going for a degree in Computer Information Systems, to one such as Business or Marketing.

Chris
08-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Without computers I would have gone into genetics. But I'm with the others in that I've always been business minded and so I bet I would have started my own biotech firm.

However.... the biotech industry wouldn't exist without computers so.....

James
08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Actually, I think that the only reason I have an interest in business at all is due to computers. I'd probably have gone to film school were it not for the interference of computers having video games and my interest in them growing from there.

chromate
08-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Without computers I would have either been a pilot or got into some kind of skilled labour, like restoration. Something with a lot of job satisfaction that requires attention to quality. Perhaps something arty like photography or design.

Though, I've always been very business focused. Not at all happy working to line someone else's pockets. So whatever it is, it would be my own business. :)