PDA

View Full Version : TrustRank?

ozgression
08-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi, just wondering what people's opinion on the issue raised in this article are: http://www.search-marketing.info/newsletter/articles/trustrank-company.htm

Personally, I doubt it is in place. I don't think offsite factors (such as having alot of low quality incoming links) should affect your ranking. What is to stop a competitor from starting a crappy site and putting heaps of link to your site?

Cheers...

James
08-10-2005, 09:44 PM
It's bull****.

Chris
08-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Yup, I doubt its in place too. Atleast fully like that.

chromate
08-11-2005, 05:36 AM
I don't bother keeping up with all these theories that keep coming out. No one really seems to know what's going on these days. I think it's best to just stick to the basics. Lots of good backlinks, lots of keyword rich pages and lots of PR.

Chris
08-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Yup, the basics won't let you down.

ozgression
08-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Yes, chromate, I agree.

Peter T Davis
08-12-2005, 11:12 AM
I don't bother keeping up with all these theories that keep coming out. No one really seems to know what's going on these days. I think it's best to just stick to the basics. Lots of good backlinks, lots of keyword rich pages and lots of PR.
If what you mean by "good backlinks" is on-topic, non-spammy sites, then what you wrote would fit right in with that theory I think.

Emancipator
08-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Good post Peter. Totally agree.

ozgression
08-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Problem is, one can't control their backlinks.

Peter T Davis
08-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Well, it would certainly make the web a more interesting place to do business if you could off your competitors' websites by pointing crap links at them.

ozgression
08-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Yes, let the games begin. :)

James
08-13-2005, 12:39 AM
No, it'd be a ****ty place, with useless search engines.
Actually, with how ****ty Google's been since Florida, I wouldn't be surprised if they did impliment something this stupid.

AndyH
08-13-2005, 02:38 AM
May aswell add something I have found to this thread than start a new one.
I started a game cheats website probably 3 years ago (2 and a half?). In that time, I have made like 2 changes, ever.

These days i'm ranking 21st for "Nintendo 64 Cheats" (DMOZ listing helps with that i'm sure).

42nd for "xbox live cheats" also. I have been in the top 100 for "Playstation Cheats" in the past also.

It appears that how long a domain has been registered or how long a domain has been in Googles' database has some affect on your SERP ranking.

James
08-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Did you find that over time more and more people linked to your website?
Or were there literally no changes (other than the 2 you made) and you've gotten these rankings?

Does your website have higher PR and/or amount of indexed pages than other sites near yours in rankings?

AndyH
08-13-2005, 03:01 AM
The only website I linked to it was my own "parent site". With nearly all my websites linking to it. In the time I have gotten 3 DMOZ listings also which i'm sure helped a bit.

Home page PR is 3. Categories (each console) is 3-4.

chromate
08-13-2005, 04:31 AM
If what you mean by "good backlinks" is on-topic, non-spammy sites, then what you wrote would fit right in with that theory I think.

Not really. I do think it's important to get links from well related sites. Although, even this is still debatable. But it does make sense.

However, I don't think that poor quality links will hurt a site. The idea with TrustRank is that links from poor quality sites will produce a negative result or, as the author of that article called it, AntiTrust.

The other thing I don't like about it is...

It uses human reviewers to compile a seed set of a few hundred or so sites. From these sites and pages trust passes through to other sites.

A few hundred sites? Considering google has to rank over 8 billion pages, I don't think that would cut it really. It's also clear that google like to have everything nicely automated. I doubt they would really like the idea of having human reviewers selecting these "trusted site" seeds.

Chris
08-13-2005, 04:58 AM
It appears that how long a domain has been registered or how long a domain has been in Googles' database has some affect on your SERP ranking.

Possibly -- but this reminds me of an example from my college psychology class.

You do a study that shows children that come from homes with newer appliances do better in school. Is it right to conclude then that appliances make children smart?

Of course not, instead it simply means that newer appliances are usually owned by wealthier families and wealthier families usually have more educated parents and more educated parents tend to have smarter children.

So sure, older sites do better in Google, but is it really because Google gives them a direct bonus? Or rather because they have accumulated more/better links? Perhaps Google is weighting links somewhat on the age of the link. Which is similar to ranking a site on age, but not exactly the same.