PDA

View Full Version : which domain?

coolosxapps
08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
coolosxapps.com is doing great traffic wise, so I went ahead and registered some names to do the same type of site for windows OS users.

What do you think is the best domain to use....

coolmicrosoftapps.com

coolmsapps.com

coolwinapps.com

coolwindowsapps.com

coolxpapps.com

your comments are appreciated...

r2d2
08-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Will you not have Bill on your *** for using MS trademarks in domain names?

Cutter
08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd go with coolwinapps.com. Not sure about the trademark issues. I would do a search on some domain name boards and see if any one has had issues in the past. I would be sure to put proper marks on the bottom of your pages recognizing Microsoft's trademark status.

James
08-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Windows and Win, you shouldn't have much problem with, should you?
Windows, and win (as in winning the lottery) are both generic terms, right?

moonshield
08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
nah, there are a great number of sites with win and windows in the name. Using the word microsoft would be a big no-no.

r2d2
08-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Windows and Win, you shouldn't have much problem with, should you?
Windows, and win (as in winning the lottery) are both generic terms, right?

It would depend where you used it I think. Would you release a new OS, and call it Windows 2? Remember the Lindows guy getting in trouble? That just sounds the similar.

A completely separate market would be fine to use 'windows', e.g. double glazing firms, but I think a new OS called Windows would be in trouble. You do see a few domains around with these words in, but I just wouldnt like it to get big, then find Bill knocking on the door... :(

Westech
08-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Be very careful about any domains with the word "Microsoft" in them. See this story for just one of the many examples why: http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1127295,00.html

I think that all of the names you listed could possibly bring you trouble from MS, but the ones that don't actually have Microsoft in the name would probably be overlooked, especially if your site said positive rather than negative things about their products.

Another thing to keep in mind: If you go with a domain with "XP" in it, it will be outdated when the next version is released.

coolosxapps
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
thanks guys....the feedback is certainly appreciated...