PDA

View Full Version : template sites

Cloughie
10-20-2003, 04:21 AM
I have purchased templates from www.templatemonster.com in the past and wasn’t that impressed.

I found some of the ways the sites were put together a bit confusing. Maybe its just me being a bit thick.

Does everyone else get on with them ok?

Daniel

Chris
10-20-2003, 05:54 AM
Generally if I buy such a template I throw the markup out and remake it myself. I'm just buying the graphics. I think they use automatic programs like imageready to make most of the markup and it just doesn't work that well.

Shawn
10-20-2003, 10:25 AM
I personally don't like templates. They are horrible for site usability (unless you edit it incredibly like Chris). It's more like artwork for the designer instead of actual website production - all looks, but nothing that would actually be of use on most templates.

Chris
10-20-2003, 10:50 AM
I think you're thinking more of like the typical hosting template.

Instead of using a standard left menu top header type layout people use giant graphical headers and three column content layouts. Its just a mess, such templates are not at all useful for most sites.

Not all templates are like that though.

star
10-20-2003, 12:45 PM
I find Open Source Web Design to be quite useful and
even free :

http://www.oswd.org/

Seldom do I spot any HTML errors also, pretty professional
designers in my opinion.

incka
10-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I bought one for my website: http://www.games2go.co.uk
From Mike's site: http://www.templatestorm.com (uses template monster)

It took me a few days of editing but it not only looks ace now, but is very usable, but in some ways I prefer to steal parts of other websites and put them together into one to make a new design, as it is more usable.

KeithMcL
10-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Do you think people would be willing to buy PSD's instead of actual templates if it meant they were cheaper? I've always designed my own so I dont have any experience with purchasing from templatemonster.

Chris
10-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Definitely, sometimes all I want is a PSD.

fonzerelli_79
10-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by KeithMcL
Do you think people would be willing to buy PSD's instead of actual templates if it meant they were cheaper? I've always designed my own so I dont have any experience with purchasing from templatemonster.
a lot of the time all you get in the template zip is the psd which has been sliced etc

as long as you have photoshop to slice it with your ok - means you can mess around with it a bit more as well if you have the original psd

Mike
10-24-2003, 10:24 AM
I doubt that many people will care about the markup. Many small webmasters will just want a nice design.

KeithMcL
10-26-2003, 09:09 AM
I might look into adding something like this to my site. I'm a member of the template monster affiliate program, but it's not producing any revenue for me.

michael_gersitz
11-09-2003, 11:55 AM
How many visitors do you get a month KeithMcl?

lo0ol
11-09-2003, 02:03 PM
The TemplateMonster cookie cutter sites are getting a little bit old, in my opinion. Everyone seems to have one now and the market's quite saturated. Not to mention the fact that there are more and more auction-like sites that you can get your own custom designs for cheap.