PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on AWS sites...

John
08-06-2005, 10:51 AM
What do you guys think about advertising on an AWS site. I think it might cheapen the look of the website and make it look not as professional, but then again would most people who would shop on an AWS site actually notice the ads?

Todd W
08-06-2005, 11:23 AM
It depends on the ads and placement. I don't see a reason not to put ads on unless after testing they yield less purchases. Surely popunders, intersitals, and fly-ins will make shoppers leave so be careful how you use those methods.

John
08-06-2005, 11:39 AM
I was just thinking about it, if I was going to use anything I would use adsense or something similar to that.

But then it still makes you think, what if a user clicks on the ad and doesn't come back to my site, it could make me lose sales.

Cutter
08-06-2005, 01:57 PM
I used to think that anyone who put Adsense on their e-commerce site was nuts.. or they just had no clue about conversions & design.

If your site gets lots of general traffic (maybe targetted traffic, but not targetted toward buyers) then it may be very beneficial (and profitable) to use Adsense. There are people out there who can slap Adsense on their ecommerce sites and actually double or triple their income.

Ad placement can also play an important role here. I'm guessing that you don't want to put an adsense ad right next to a "buy now" button -- that kind of stuff ;)

In the end, all of this stuff comes down to testing. Sometimes things people specificly say won't work ends up working the best.

James
08-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Typically, people who put AdSense ads on their AWS sites will find that they perform about as well as AWS itself. If your AWS site is of high enough quality (for whatever reason) that you will outdo your AdSense with sales, and AdSense will detract from the overall quality, then just don't use it.

Chris
08-07-2005, 12:00 PM
I used to think that anyone who put Adsense on their e-commerce site was nuts.. or they just had no clue about conversions & design.

If your site gets lots of general traffic (maybe targetted traffic, but not targetted toward buyers) then it may be very beneficial (and profitable) to use Adsense. There are people out there who can slap Adsense on their ecommerce sites and actually double or triple their income.

Ad placement can also play an important role here. I'm guessing that you don't want to put an adsense ad right next to a "buy now" button -- that kind of stuff ;)

In the end, all of this stuff comes down to testing. Sometimes things people specificly say won't work ends up working the best.
If someone doubles or triples their ecommerce site income with Adsense then they were doing something wrong to begin with.

I sell "cool" things and so get alot of window shoppers, but even so my ecommerce site makes the equivalent of $50 CPM. I've had affiliate site measurements as high as $166 CPM.

Emancipator
08-07-2005, 12:41 PM
i see adsense as a way to profit from window shoppers but I would think you have to plan the usage carefully. Wouldnt know I dont have any ecommerce sites ... just news :)

aj8
08-09-2005, 04:34 AM
Are visitors to an AWS type site actually measurably less likely to click and buy something if there are adsense ads present?

Does anybody have concrete data?