PDA

View Full Version : Database File Manager

rapain
10-20-2003, 03:38 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and I'm hoping somebody out there will be able to help me. I'm setting up an intranet site for a small charity in the UK, and am having some difficulty deciding how to organise one element of the information.

We have a digital archive containing thousands of articles, stored as PDFs. I'm trying to find a fast and efficient way of linking them all together to be browsed and searched within the database.

What I'd like to be able to do is have either individual tables, or one large table containing links to each of the PDFs. Also contained in this table would be the article title, published date, source (newspaper title, etc.), filing reference (following a previously established numerical system), and a brief freetext summary of the article itself. It would be good to be able to sort by date, reference, source and title, but what I'd really like to be able to do is set up a way to click a link will filter the results via either source or filing reference.

It's also important that the file itself is accessible - but probably not embedded within the database (it's easier for the indexing system I'm using to point to the directories).

This will be hosted in-house, on a machine running Server 2003, IIS, MySql and Frontpage. PHP is also installed, though I suspect ASP may be a better solution.

Anybody got any ideas? We can pay a small amount for a script, but we are a charity and therefore not massively wealthy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rapain.

Chris
10-20-2003, 04:14 PM
One large table containing links is the best way.

ASP will be better if you must use a windows server.

rapain
10-23-2003, 01:18 AM
I thought it must be. But the big question is... how do I go about either creating such a script, or are there systems out there which will automatically perform this sort of function?

Rapain

Chris
10-23-2003, 06:04 AM
There actually are some scripts like that for php/mysql type situations.

With a windows server and asp though, I can't think of one off hand. So you'll probably need to make it from scratch.

rapain
10-23-2003, 06:09 AM
Which is unfortunately beyond my expertise.

There is a free script called Accuflow which seems to do exactly what I want, but it won't run with MySql, only Sql 7.0 (which we can't afford) or MSDB (which doesn't seem to run with MySql installed at the same time).

Rapain